10g additions, some thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, so it's been a week since I added my Otocinclus, and "Punk" seems to be doing great. So here's my thoughts now:
I'm thinking I should just go back to the LFS & get two more Oto's, as my understanding is that they like company, and I'd hate for the one I have to become unhealthy just because he's lonely!
That would give me 3 Oto's & 3 Platy's.
I wouldn't mind maybe still putting some other fish in there, but I guess I'm getting pretty close to my limit on this little 10G.
I still love the look of Celestial Pearl Danios, but I guess they're out for this tank as I understand they like to school, as are Rasboras for the same reason.
I don't mind overstocking "slightly", because I do have it planted, I'm pretty good about keeping up with water changes, and I'm running an aquaclear 30 HOB in there.
So, if anyone has some ideas for another couple of small fish I could add in there I'd love to hear it.
Maybe back to looking at Cherry Barbs? Now that I've read some more about them, it seems they're not aggressive like many of the other Barbs, and are in fact quite reclusive, and are happy just to be in a pair.

A small school of harlequin rasboras or cherry barbs would look great in your tank. I think you could get away with a school of six of one or the other, even with the three otos and three platies. Cherry barbs are peaceful and look very nice when they're colored up. I've got a school of five at the moment and I'm probably going to add more after I rearrange some fish.

please correct me if i'm wrong, but don't barbs need more swimming room than a 10g can provide? i've been advised against them for that reason.

Cherry barbs are small. They top out at about an inch and they're not nearly as active as tiger or rosy barbs. That's why they'd be ok in a 10g.

but they are better off in a school?
I thought I had read that they are kind of solitary?
Is it kind of they like company, but just not close company!?

As far as I know all barbs are less aggressive in schools. I don't know if this applies to rosy barbs per say, but it has been something that I have read about all barbs- that they will nip fins unless they have someone to play with basically.

IME, most good LFSs aren't very clean. The tanks are immaculate, but the stores are cramped and sometimes a little messy. In my two favorite LFSs, I can barely walk down the aisles without my shoulders hitting the tanks on either side.

You can always add snails later. Be sure that your water is pristine and that you feed your oto some vegetables. They generally don't do very well in new tanks. I think it's either due to lack of stability or lack of food.

+1

My favorite 2 stores I wouldn't dare walk through in flip flops or sandals because they are so messy but their tanks and the quality of fish, inverts etc can't be beat. (got an awesome pair of GBRs from them last night, *crosses fingers*)

As far as I know all barbs are less aggressive in schools. I don't know if this applies to rosy barbs per say, but it has been something that I have read about all barbs- that they will nip fins unless they have someone to play with basically.

+1 we had 2 rosy barbs at one point (before finding this site and cycling the tank) and i can say from experience that you definitely want a decent sized group of them (6+). we had one male and one female, and the male chased the female persistently and nipped her fins until he passed away (ammonia poisoning :( like i said, it was before i found this site and didn't do any research beforehand) they absolutely display signs of aggression, even to each other, when not in big groups.

As far as I know all barbs are less aggressive in schools. I don't know if this applies to rosy barbs .

+1 we had 2 rosy barbs at one point (before finding this site and cycling the tank) and i can say from experience that you definitely want a decent sized group of them (6+). we had one male and one female, and the male chased the female persistently and nipped her fins

I have no doubt this is true with Rosy Barbs, but what I am looking at are Cherry Barbs. They tend to stay smaller than Rosy's, and I think are a less aggressive barb. Still doesn't mean they wouldn't be happier with some company though right!?

I have no doubt this is true with Rosy Barbs, but what I am looking at are Cherry Barbs. They tend to stay smaller than Rosy's, and I think are a less aggressive barb. Still doesn't mean they wouldn't be happier with some company though right!?

Yeah sorry lol. I was thinking of adifferent thread. As far as cherry barbs go I am more certain that they will need bigger numbers :)

Back
Top Bottom