10g Betta Tank Cycle Log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is my first time doing a fish-in cycle. Betta moved from 2g bowl to 10g tank.

Testing using API Master Test kit

OUT OF TAP:

Ph-- 7.4
Am-- 0 ppm
Nitrite-- 0 ppm
Nitrate-- 10 ppm

10 gallon Tank: Male Crowntail Betta

Filled and started with fresh everything 24 hrs ago. Conditioned with Prime

Results after 24 hrs:

Ph-- 7.4
Am-- 0 ppm
Nitrite-- 0 ppm
Nitrate-- 40 ppm

Mumma.of.two said:
Hey!
Are your sure? I cant see how it could jump 30ppm in 24 hours.... :confused: did you use seeded media?

My tap has tested 10... Was steadily 20 for a few days and then was 30 one day last week...
Why would there be such a Jump in tap nitrates?

No seeded media... I could wipe some of the gunk BB on the bettas filter pad....
New rocks/gravel substrate, bleached rock decoration, bleach plastic plants.
Only thing that transferred was his rock cave... Usually got rinsed in tap water once a week but I moved it right over to tank..

I'd add some filter media from one of your other tanks. If you add enough you might not even get a cycle. I instantly cycled my 10g with media from my 70g canister. I had 4 harlequin rasboras in there from day one and no ammonia or nitrite at all. 2 weeks later I added my Betta in with them.

Mumma.of.two said:
I'd add some filter media from one of your other tanks. If you add enough you might not even get a cycle. I instantly cycled my 10g with media from my 70g canister. I had 4 harlequin rasboras in there from day one and no ammonia or nitrite at all. 2 weeks later I added my Betta in with them.

Can I take my Nasty brown sticky BB filled filter pad and wipe it on the back of the clean 10g pad?

Mumma.of.two said:
That might transfer some but not much. Can you cut a piece off and add it in beside the cartridge on the 10?

How could I cut it without having the carbon come out? The filter is getting kinda old and slick and possibly almost going to tear sooner than later.. Can I cut the old filter in half, throw away carbon, put half on Betta tank and half on a new filter on established tank? Will cause cycled tank to mini cycle, right?

ocminpin said:
How could I cut it without having the carbon come out? The filter is getting kinda old and slick and possibly almost going to tear sooner than later.. Can I cut the old filter in half, throw away carbon, put half on Betta tank and half on a new filter on established tank? Will cause cycled tank to mini cycle, right?

Yes that will work. You might get a slight jump in ammonia or nitrite in the first week but nothing a few PWC wont fix. Maybe keep 2/3 in the established tank and move 1/3 to the Betta tank.

What I did in my HOB when I cut up the media was made my own media from sponge, put the seeded media in and left if for a month, then threw out the old cut up piece.

Okay I cut around the rim of the cartridge and pulled off two pieces of filter seeded slimy BB filled material across the back of my new filter pad, very carefully picked off the carbon pieces, and put half in the 10g Betta tank and half across the back of new filter I put in the 20g.
Looks like this... This is my first time., hope it's right...

View attachment 68268

Mumma.of.two said:
It must be your tap water. I saw you got recommended purgen might be worth a go.

Yea I'm thinking so... Lately the same readings before and after PWC... With the exception of my first testing PWC emergencies ...
I wonder why I didn't lose more fish and have had such a high fry survival rate?
Out of my first batch 35/43 survived :-0

ocminpin said:
Yea I'm thinking so... Lately the same readings before and after PWC... With the exception of my first testing PWC emergencies ...
I wonder why I didn't lose more fish and have had such a high fry survival rate?
Out of my first batch 35/43 survived :-0

Your fish got use to it. The mother was living in it so they are use to it too I'm guessing. New fish will adapt to the higher nitrate too after a proper acclimatization.

Mumma.of.two said:
Your fish got use to it. The mother was living in it so they are use to it too I'm guessing. New fish will adapt to the higher nitrate too after a proper acclimatization.

I roll my eyes at myself at how I did things when I first got the tank.
I came home from the store with a 10g
Within 20 mins of getting home I put in:

-- 3 Mollies
-- 2 Platies
-- 3 Guppies
-- 1 Chinese Algae Eater
Within 3 days, a guppy died, remaining guppies started fighting, both platies began to fight, Molly gave birth to 43 babies (my first batch), 2 mollies died due to heater malfunction in another 10g I moved them to for birthing.
The next week I realized I was screwed and overstocked, the guppies had to go to a new home, one platy had to leave, I HAD a CAE that would eventually kill my fish and he had to go too.

After that I knew I liked the mollies were my favorite and I went and got more... Did I not learn anything?? :)

FINALLY I gathered what was left of my mind and got a 29g as well as the 20g to accompany my two 10g's.

I'm grateful I've been able to have the luck I have had and not lost more fish, that I found this site/app, that I'm gaining such wonderful friends on here, and I'm actually able to put the knowledge to good use making happier healthier fish..

Thank you :)

Back
Top Bottom