10g Biotope Ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquatic_Adam

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all! I moved into an apartment and wanna set up a nice tank. Instead of the typical community set up I wanted to challenge myself with a specific biotope setup. Any ideas?

Well what place are you thinking of? Asia? South America? Africa? North America? Australia? Which place in one of those continents? Any specific fish that you really want? We can help with the actual biotope planning if you give us a fish or place:)

AquaKai said:
Well what place are you thinking of? Asia? South America? Africa? North America? Australia? Which place in one of those continents? Any specific fish that you really want? We can help with the actual biotope planning if you give us a fish or place:)

Haha thanks! Man, little overwhelmed! Well, I do have a lovely Croaking Gourami (Trichopsis Vittata) so SE Asia I suppose?

Predfan27 said:
Haha thanks! Man, little overwhelmed! Well, I do have a lovely Croaking Gourami (Trichopsis Vittata) so SE Asia I suppose?

Haha sorry. I was just covering everything:)

So croaking gourami. You could do 3 of those with a school of chili rasboras or celestial pearl danios or any of those kind of fish. For the bottom-if you heavily plant-shrimp. You could try RCS but I've heard that the gouramis are shrimp hunters. Although I do believe that amano shrimp would be fine. I can look up some more fish if you like, those are the ones that just jump to the front of my mind first:)

I feel as though 3 Croaking Gouramis (C. Vittata) will be too much for a 10g. Although I do enjoy the idea of having CPDs with them. I would be heavily planted, seeing as both the Gourami and the Danios want that. I think I would try my hand at RCS. I've had them before, but in a shrimp only tank.

That leaves only the plants and general aquascape layout to choose :)

Does it matter in a biotope setting if the fish aren't found in the exact same region? Just general region? Because I would love to have maybe a group of 6 Boraras Maculatus with my Trichopsis Vittata. But I don't believe they are the same geographical location, just somewhere in SE Asia.

I also have another 10g that I would like to do a South American biotope tank around an Apisto. I have some Corydoras Habrosus and some Beckford's Pencilfish. Would those work with the Apisto? Or be too much?

Does it matter in a biotope setting if the fish aren't found in the exact same region? Just general region? Because I would love to have maybe a group of 6 Boraras Maculatus with my Trichopsis Vittata. But I don't believe they are the same geographical location, just somewhere in SE Asia.

IMO, it would be fine. AS long as they have similar requirements and come from the same general region it sounds great. Also the Croaking Gourami (Trichopsis vittata) are very small, and actually you can have 3 in a 10g with other fish. They are actually great in smaller tanks:)

I also have another 10g that I would like to do a South American biotope tank around an Apisto. I have some Corydoras Habrosus and some Beckford's Pencilfish. Would those work with the Apisto? Or be too much?

I don't think that the apisto would be a good idea. I think that the min for apistos is 20g or maybe 15L (but that would have to be almost a custom built tank). Instead of an apisto you might want to try a killifish from South America? There are some really cool ones out there, although it may be a little on the hard side to acquire one I think it would be worth it. One that I found that I really like is: Micromoema xiphophora. Just go Google-ing around:)

I really hopes this helps you!

Well, it looks like the killies from South America are all annuals? Not exactly sure if I want to deal with all that...

Predfan27 said:
Well, it looks like the killies from South America are all annuals? Not exactly sure if I want to deal with all that...

I do believe that even though they're annuals they live around 3-4 years in captivity. They're called annuals because in the wild the rain season only allows them 1 year to live.

Ohhh ok. Hrmmm. Not gonna lie. I'd really like to keep a pair of Apistogrammas Agasizzii. Species tank? Or still too small?

Back
Top Bottom