10g cycling version 3.0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, thanks to Irene it looks like I'm back to square one.

pH = 7.4, Ammonia = 1.0 ppm, NO2 = 0, NO3 = 0

Redosing the Ammonia. These setbacks are driving me nuts.

I know most here are not big fans of the use of "helpers" in the process, but I'm really toying with the idea of introducing an Eco-Bio Block. I figure are worst it introduces a porous place for bacteria to form...

Thoughts?

kjwcpm said:
Well, thanks to Irene it looks like I'm back to square one.

pH = 7.4, Ammonia = 1.0 ppm, NO2 = 0, NO3 = 0

Redosing the Ammonia. These setbacks are driving me nuts.

I know most here are not big fans of the use of "helpers" in the process, but I'm really toying with the idea of introducing an Eco-Bio Block. I figure are worst it introduces a porous place for bacteria to form...

Thoughts?

Was the power out for a significant amount of time? The nitrAtes don't make sense...unless you've been doing lots of water changes or the tank is heavily planted they don't disappear. You sure you're testing them right? (shaking #2 bottle for 30 seconds, entire solution for a full minute, let it sit 5 minutes and record?) There's obviously something funny happening...it seems it has to be a testing error (you're using a API Master kit, right?), or some sort of toxin (like raw tap water or a disinfectant getting into the tank). If the power was out and the filter media either dried out or was not circulated, it's possible the bacteria died of oxygen deprivation...but that still leaves the issue of the disappearing nitrAtes.

I've never heard of the bio-blocks, but after a quick google search it seems to contain heterotrophs which are not the true nitrifying bacteria. Problem is they can perform nitrification for a time giving the appearance of a cycled tank, just to die off and crash your bio-filter in the future. I've seen it more times than I can count on the site. They claim it contains "live" bacteria which can go dormant and live without water for 5 years....that's definitely heterotrophic bacteria. Some products are hit and miss, but if you're determined to try one, Tetra SafeStart and Dr. Tim's one and only are the only ones I even remotely have faith in.

Thanks eco. Kinda figured that would be the case.

I tried keeping the filter and heater going periodically with a generator during the storm, but it wasn't constant. There were periods where the filter wasn't running at all for as much as 12 hour stretches.

As for the testing, it's the API Master. Maybe I was getting hopeful and misreading some brown when in fact it was truly yellow.

Hey eco - a couple of questions came to mind last night as I thought about your response.

[italics]contain heterotrophs which are not the true nitrifying bacteria. Problem is they can perform nitrification for a time giving the appearance of a cycled tank, just to die off and crash your bio-filter in the future.[/italics]

Two questions came to mind. First, does this mean that heterotrophs do not have the sustainability of biologically more "natural" nitrifying bacteria? And second, does the presence of heterotrophs prevent the formation of other "healthy" bacteria because they consume the fuel source needed for those healthy bacteria to live?

Not trying to justify heterotroph based products. Just seeking more understanding.

BTW, I found the attached an interesting summary: Auto vs Hetero Bacteria. Of course, it's aimed at selling a product, but I think the science between hetertrophic and autotrophic bacteria sounds logical.

kjwcpm said:
BTW, I found the attached an interesting summary: Auto vs Hetero Bacteria. Of course, it's aimed at selling a product, but I think the science between hetertrophic and autotrophic bacteria sounds logical.

Funny, I was gonna link you the same article, lol. And yeah, they can be short lived which is why they're bad news. It can look like everything is perfect with the tank, just to wake up one day to floating fish.

Back
Top Bottom