10g Fish suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
NikNak said:
Any shrimp suggestions on the color side? :cool:

There are red cherry shrimp, pearl blue shrimp, blue tiger shrimp, red tiger shrimp, yellow shrimp, orange shrimp, tiger shrimp, snowball shrimp they're some that I like are easy and would be good to start with! A great website it www.planetinverts.com :D

So the grand total would be:

1 dwarf gourami
1 platy
3 guppies (2 females 1 male)
And shrimp

That sounds good? Not over packed or anything of the sort?

Another question. I know Platies have a large bioload but what about gourami's? It it safe to assume that since it's a "larger" fish that it's bioload is large too?

make sure you clean it often once a week pwc because i personally think your pushing it with that stocking for a 10g

Platies are so poopy, maybe you're better off without one for the sake of your bioload. I have 6 platies in my 30g and they are the biggest contributers to bioload. Maybe Ill switch them for a school of smaller fish.... But they're so cute and chubby...

Anyways, red cherry shrimp breed easily and I think they look lovely, but I assume your gourami would eat them. They are rather small. Blue pearls are the same size.

Amano shrimp are larger, but I'm not sure how sensitive they are.

Yknow I agree that all my Mysteries from the store have died on me! It may be that they are sold as adults and adjust to new water conditions with difficulty? All of my successes are with baby snails I got from breeders. They must adjust easier I guess. And do provide calcium for them, that helps their shells.

I have never had nerites but they look so cool! I have ramshorns but they lay eggs everywhere (even on the Mystery snails!).

Will you use live plants?

Platies are so poopy, maybe you're better off without one for the sake of your bioload. I have 6 platies in my 30g and they are the biggest contributers to bioload. Maybe Ill switch them for a school of smaller fish.... But they're so cute and chubby...

Anyways, red cherry shrimp breed easily and I think they look lovely, but I assume your gourami would eat them. They are rather small. Blue pearls are the same size.

Amano shrimp are larger, but I'm not sure how sensitive they are.

Yknow I agree that all my Mysteries from the store have died on me! It may be that they are sold as adults and adjust to new water conditions with difficulty? All of my successes are with baby snails I got from breeders. They must adjust easier I guess. And do provide calcium for them, that helps their shells.

I have never had nerites but they look so cool! I have ramshorns but they lay eggs everywhere (even on the Mystery snails!).

Will you use live plants?

Indeed Nerites look so cool. Not entirely sure where to get them though. Not sure I trust mailing them for the sake of them possibly dieing on the way.
I suppose I can try the ghost shrimp for now. I have a few rather large ones in my bigger tank that I can transfer over. They might be too much for the Gourami.

As far as live plants, I've considered making a transition to them. Going to start with just one live plant and the rest will be fake. See how that one live plant goes and if it goes well, I'll add more.

I wouldn't worry about them dying along the way, my thought is that they were already exposed to that when they went to the pet store, and were exposed to even worse conditions. I would get them online because it's usually cheaper and IMO better:) but that's just me!

Yeah they shouldnt die along the way. Order them from someone reputable and they will be just fine. I order stuff now, I never buy from stores. Stuff from Petsmart is never as healthy nor as beautiful as what I find online!

Nerites eat algae so youll need to include veggies for them to eat, since there wont be much algae for them in your tank.

I also transitioned from plastic plants to live ones and i love live plants. The benefits are great and they are cheaper than plastic plants! I feel like i wasted money buying realistic plastic ones when i could have purchased live ones :p

I'm a new person, so you may not want to take my advice, but I have a 10 gallon aquarium as well, and my fish are getting along really well so far. My community is:

3 glofish
1 kissing gouramis
1 3-spot gouramis and
1 corydora

Yeah they shouldnt die along the way. Order them from someone reputable and they will be just fine. I order stuff now, I never buy from stores. Stuff from Petsmart is never as healthy nor as beautiful as what I find online!

Nerites eat algae so youll need to include veggies for them to eat, since there wont be much algae for them in your tank.

I also transitioned from plastic plants to live ones and i love live plants. The benefits are great and they are cheaper than plastic plants! I feel like i wasted money buying realistic plastic ones when i could have purchased live ones :p

I'll have to look online for the snails. Any good recommendations on where to find them?

As far as veggies for the snails, what would you say they'd eat? Would algae wafers work or no?

NikNak said:
I'll have to look online for the snails. Any good recommendations on where to find them?

As far as veggies for the snails, what would you say they'd eat? Would algae wafers work or no?

I like Serverum mama, she has some so check her out! Um aquabid is another good place as well! I haven't fed my snails any veggies but I've heard that peas and z.... Forget how to spell.... Are good. I feed mine some extra flakes but I'm currently on the look out for some good algae wafers that will be good as well.

I had a betta with my fancy guppies and my beta ended up eating one of my guppies :/ So, I wouldnt do that.
I LOVE my cories, they are super fun to watch.

I'm a new person, so you may not want to take my advice, but I have a 10 gallon aquarium as well, and my fish are getting along really well so far. My community is:

3 glofish
1 kissing gouramis
1 3-spot gouramis and
1 corydora

you know kissing gouramis get minimum 6" max 12"

If I do get two female and one male guppy, anyone have any advice for breeding? Any links about caring for fry?

NikNak said:
If I do get two female and one male guppy, anyone have any advice for breeding? Any links about caring for fry?

Just add water and maybe a few hiding spots like plants or such. They'll have so many get you'll not know what to do, so let the parents eat some and have some others survive:D

NikNak said:

Guppies are easy to breed, I just leave them to themselves and there's like a million little ones, they all make it. I have to give them away cause there's to many.

So here's my decided stock list:

1 Dwarf Gourami
3 guppies (1 male - 2 females)
1 Mystery Snail? or Nerite snail (If I can find one)
about 6 ghost shrimp

Decided against the platy because it just seems like a huge addition to the bioload. I've had platies in the past and although they are cute, they are just alot to add to my current stock list

I'm thinking I'll get my guppies, snail, and shrimp first. Add them and after about a week or two, add the dwarf gourami.

Edit: Perhaps add a third female guppy? so 1 male, 3 females? Or would that be bad?

Last edited:
NikNak said:
So here's my decided stock list:

1 Dwarf Gourami
3 guppies (1 male - 2 females)
1 Mystery Snail? or Nerite snail (If I can find one)
about 6 ghost shrimp

Decided against the platy because it just seems like a huge addition to the bioload. I've had platies in the past and although they are cute, they are just alot to add to my current stock list

I'm thinking I'll get my guppies, snail, and shrimp first. Add them and after about a week or two, add the dwarf gourami.

Edit: Perhaps add a third female guppy? so 1 male, 3 females? Or would that be bad?

Looks good, except try a small DG like a honey, I think your average chosla lalia might be a little cramped in there. Other than that sounds great :)

Back
Top Bottom