10g overstocked or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-.-

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just joined the forum, been creepin for a while though!

I acquired my brothers 2 tanks when he moved away a couple of months ago. A 10 gallon with a female swordtail and 5 small bronze corys, and a 5 gallon (i think) with 8 longfin leopard danios.

The 5 gallon has sprung a nasty crack/leak and I've thrown all the danios in the 10 gallon 3 days ago. Everything is going fine so far.

Is the tank overstocked now? Can I leave all the fish in there as it is, or do I need to get a second tank?

I wanted to get 2 more swordtails (M and F) for the 10g since I really like them, but it looks like I have too many fish in there already. Should I find another home for the relocated danios first?

Oh definitely relocate those danios. They need much more room than that for all of them, at least forty gallons should provide nice swimming room.

FYI don't get a male and female swordtail. Get one sex, otherwise they'll breed LIKE RABBITS and their fry will overrun your tank, you'll be sellin lots of babies!

-.- said:
Just joined the forum, been creepin for a while though!

I acquired my brothers 2 tanks when he moved away a couple of months ago. A 10 gallon with a female swordtail and 5 small bronze corys, and a 5 gallon (i think) with 8 longfin leopard danios.

The 5 gallon has sprung a nasty crack/leak and I've thrown all the danios in the 10 gallon 3 days ago. Everything is going fine so far.

Is the tank overstocked now? Can I leave all the fish in there as it is, or do I need to get a second tank?

I wanted to get 2 more swordtails (M and F) for the 10g since I really like them, but it looks like I have too many fish in there already. Should I find another home for the relocated danios first?

The aeneus corys are really too large for a 10g long term. Your best solution would be to get a larger tank.

FYI don't get a male and female swordtail. Get one sex, otherwise they'll breed LIKE RABBITS and their fry will overrun your tank, you'll be sellin lots of babies!

Ok, let's say I just want to keep what I have. 5 corys, 1 swordtail, 6 longfin danios. Is the 10g doable with frequent water changes or do I need to split them up into a new 5g as well? I can't keep anything bigger and don't want to give any of the fish away.

Last edited:
-.- said:
Ok, let's say I just want to keep what I have. 5 corys, 1 swordtail, 8 longfin danios. Is the 10g doable with frequent water changes or do I need to split them up into a new 5g as well? I can't keep anything bigger and don't want to give any of the fish away.

I'm telling you that ten gallon is too small for those danios. You need at least a twenty gallon. Plus none of those fish will fit in a five gallon. Five gallons are too small for almost any normal sized fish and you will need to rehome those danios and eventually the cories I think they get two to three inches long or something like that.

corys and swordtails and danios ALL need 20 gallons to feel comfortable and a 20 gallon long is only 32 dollars at petsmart and at petco theyre having a dollar per galloin sale next week.

Thanks. Time to go shopping!

Is there any school of small fish I can put in this 10g once the larger tank is here, or do most of you just use it to quarantine or for the fry?

Back
Top Bottom