10g Possibilities?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where are you located? I have red Cherri's to spare. I even have guppy and endler fry! And be careful with some fish with the these shrimp. They only get to about an inch and are harmless to others. BUT, most fish, even smaller ones like guppies, will tear up the shrimp, especially the baby shrimp. This is why I suggested endlers. I have them with my shrimp, and they don't even look at the shrimp. Endlers barely reach an inch, and are super colorful. You can usually find them pretty cheap, unless they are pure class N.

Yeah I added RCS to my tank and didn't realize my boesmani rainbow thought it was a buffet just for him.

Where are you located? I have red Cherri's to spare. I even have guppy and endler fry! And be careful with some fish with the these shrimp. They only get to about an inch and are harmless to others. BUT, most fish, even smaller ones like guppies, will tear up the shrimp, especially the baby shrimp. This is why I suggested endlers. I have them with my shrimp, and they don't even look at the shrimp. Endlers barely reach an inch, and are super colorful. You can usually find them pretty cheap, unless they are pure class N.

I live in Texas. :) Well if I do this tank with shrimp it will be a shrimp only tank I think it might be pretty cool to watch their numbers grow. But I Ono endlers might be cool too. I think I may just start off with shrimp only and if I want more action I will def looking into the endlers

Earl- oh no! But at least the rainbow was happy? Haha

I live in Texas. :) Well if I do this tank with shrimp it will be a shrimp only tank I think it might be pretty cool to watch their numbers grow. But I Ono endlers might be cool too. I think I may just start off with shrimp only and if I want more action I will def looking into the endlers

Earl- oh no! But at least the rainbow was happy? Haha

Definitely start with what you feel more comfortable with. Just make sure your tank is nice and established for the shrimp. Even though you'll feed them, they LOVE biofilm! And moss is a must.....especially for when they have babies.

Fer sure! Going to be my first fish less cycle so we shall see how it goes. I think I can pull it off thou. And oh yes oh the moss balls. eBay has a lot of those for sale.

Try to get your hands on some established filter media and gravel. This will speed up the process a ton. And moss balls are good for them to feed on, but I was actually talking about mosses like java, willow, peacock etc. You can tie them down to some mesh, a rock or driftwood. Once it starts growing out it will create a mini "jungle" for your shrimp and their babies to hang out in. Cholla wood is really good as well. You can find that pretty cheap online, usually 4 or 5 pieces for 10 - 12 bucks.

Try to get your hands on some established filter media and gravel. This will speed up the process a ton. And moss balls are good for them to feed on, but I was actually talking about mosses like java, willow, peacock etc. You can tie them down to some mesh, a rock or driftwood. Once it starts growing out it will create a mini "jungle" for your shrimp and their babies to hang out in. Cholla wood is really good as well. You can find that pretty cheap online, usually 4 or 5 pieces for 10 - 12 bucks.

Well I had a question about that. Librarygirl had told me to remove some from my 20g to the 10g when I get it so it would basically cycle instantly. But I was wondering could I buy a filter cartridge for the 10g stick it in the back on my filter on my already running 20g and let it start building up its bb? I haven't really messed with sticking anything else in my filter besides the cartridge it came with. But I've heard you can stick sponges and stuff to help with more bb growth? ooooooohhhh will def look into getting a few of those then. Been meaning to go walk the shores and see if I can find any driftwood. People want too much for that stuff. Cholla wood I've never heard of thou and will def look into that pricing sounds reasonable.

Well I had a question about that. Librarygirl had told me to remove some from my 20g to the 10g when I get it so it would basically cycle instantly. But I was wondering could I buy a filter cartridge for the 10g stick it in the back on my filter on my already running 20g and let it start building up its bb? I haven't really messed with sticking anything else in my filter besides the cartridge it came with. But I've heard you can stick sponges and stuff to help with more bb growth? ooooooohhhh will def look into getting a few of those then. Been meaning to go walk the shores and see if I can find any driftwood. People want too much for that stuff. Cholla wood I've never heard of thou and will def look into that pricing sounds reasonable.

Yep, you can add media to your current filter and let it run on your established tank while you're getting everything ready. As I said shrimp have almost no bioload so it won't take much to instantly cycle a tank for them. A seeded media pad from your current tank should do nicely.

That's a bet. Will start doing that immediately then! Y'all have been awesome by the way!!

No problem! Just be careful with the "instant cycle". Yes, it works. Just be aware that shrimp usually need an established tank for the algae and biofilm. Besides the media, see if you can borrow a decoration and some rocks to throw in the new tank for a few weeks. I did the same thing when I started my tank, and it worked perfectly.

That should be no problem at all. I have a couple of rocks I brought home from Arkansas that have been in my 20g I could throw them in there. I'm excited. Hopefully he meets up with me next week so I can get the tank. Should I use a soil substrate with maybe a sand cap? Or maybe some of that fluorite substrate? Because I will prolly try planting it.

Back
Top Bottom