10g restock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MamaJasmine

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just lost a few fishes and I am now down to 1 sunburst mm platy and 1 cosmic blue glofish. Once I get my tank on track for more fish, I want to add ones that will do well in a 10g set up. I am new to the hobby and a bit overwhelmed. I have read other threads about 10g stocking but I am not sure what would go with the 2 I have. I know now that what I have is not right for my tank ideally, and I was not given good info by the Petsmart peoople. I will be going to a new place about 30 minutes away that is a LFS. But what can I get that is good for this size tank and will go with what I have already. I know that the glofish needs more companions in his species, but would a school of danios be okay? Can I get some smaller danios that might school with the glofish? Will my platy get lonely by herself?

I have zebra danios in my 10g but when I had asked about it in my thread I was told "imo zebra danios shouldnt be kept in a 10g" that they are too active of a fish. I was also told to look into celestial pearl danios because they are calmer. But ive read others having danios in a 10g and them doing just fine... so who knows. I guess its all just "IMO" But its my understanding that the zebra or glofish danios need at least 6 for their group.

The platy will be fine by itself.

As mentioned, zebra danios (AKA glofish) get too active for ten gallon tanks. In my opinion I would recommend a 20L minimum just for them.

Celestial Pearl Danios are a great choice.

So will the glofish school with the CPDs? or will he just become a nippy little bully...

Also I should mention that this tank is in our playroom that gets a ton of action as I run a daycare in my home. Shy or timid fish will not be happy.

A 10gal is really only suitable for nano fish like Dwarf Rasboras, Neon / Cardinal / rummynose /ember tetras. Most Danios are too active for a 10gal, however CPD's may work due to their smaller relative size.

On Celestialpearldanio.com there was a thread asking the specific question if the danios would school together and the findings were no. That the zebra are too active for the celestial's liking.

I would rather not get Danios for this reason... this blue guy is completely crazy.. but he likes to hang with the platy. If he is fine with the platy I would love to get a small school of nano fish and not get any more fish that are not appropriate for the tank.

Hello! Honestly, if I was you I would look into re-homing your last danio. :) I know it stinks to do because you get attached to the fish, but if you ever get the chance to observe zebra danios in a proper school and big enough tank (20g long), you would see why people say they are not suitable fror a 10g tank.
Yes, the zebra danio is too active for the cpd. Other nano fish will have the same problem, thats why I suggest re-homing him.
Here is brief list of some nano fish that would thrive in a 10g tank with a platy. Green neons, ember tetras, Endler's livebearers, dwraf gourami, pygmy corys, Asian stone catfish, guppies, and a couple of black phantom tetras.
Honestly, most the common schooling fish you are used to seeing do not do well in 10g tanks at all. Cardinals/rummies/red-eyed/serpae tetras and similar species reach 2 inches in length and really belong in bigger tanks due to their size and activity level IMO. :)
If you want a school, I suggest embers or green neons. If you just want fish, I recommend a couple more platys or guppies or Endlers. :)
There are more nano fish species too, but I think a lot of them would be a little too shy for you platy: sparkling gouramis, croaking gourami, chili rasbora, mirco rasbora, celestial pearl danios, scarlet badis. :) But, feel free to researcg all those species too and see what you think. :)

Hello! Honestly, if I was you I would look into re-homing your last danio. :) I know it stinks to do because you get attached to the fish, but if you ever get the chance to observe zebra danios in a proper school and big enough tank (20g long), you would see why people say they are not suitable fror a 10g tank.
Yes, the zebra danio is too active for the cpd. Other nano fish will have the same problem, thats why I suggest re-homing him.
Here is brief list of some nano fish that would thrive in a 10g tank with a platy. Green neons, ember tetras, Endler's livebearers, dwraf gourami, pygmy corys, Asian stone catfish, guppies, and a couple of black phantom tetras.
Honestly, most the common schooling fish you are used to seeing do not do well in 10g tanks at all. Cardinals/rummies/red-eyed/serpae tetras and similar species reach 2 inches in length and really belong in bigger tanks due to their size and activity level IMO. :)
If you want a school, I suggest embers or green neons. If you just want fish, I recommend a couple more platys or guppies or Endlers. :)
There are more nano fish species too, but I think a lot of them would be a little too shy for you platy: sparkling gouramis, croaking gourami, chili rasbora, mirco rasbora, celestial pearl danios, scarlet badis. :) But, feel free to researcg all those species too and see what you think. :)

thank you so much for your advice..I am fine with rehoming him.. I have never been attached to this little guy simply because he does not look like he belongs in my tank, he actually matches the background and looks like a trout. But I don't know if I can find a new home for him (I will ask at the LFS today if they know anyone or just want him for free). If I am not able to find a home for him, what type of fish would you suggest? I am thinking of just getting a few guppies or 2 more platys (I would love some endlers if the LFS has them) and some shrimp or something for the bottom. My tank has a decent amount of plastic plants, but I don't know if I am ready to step into the world of planted tanks yet.. I have a very bad brown thumb! lol And from what I have read, nano fish love planted tanks.

Either guppies or platys would be fine. :) Depending on how good your filter is, you could also get some pygmy corys or a pair of otos IMO. :) If you want Endler's, look in the feeder guppy tank at your lfs. Lots of Black Bar Endler's or else Endler crosses end up in feeder tanks. :)
If you want some shrimp, I suggest you get amanos. You can always do a test run with ghost shrimp to make sure your fish don't eat them.
Another cool option is a nerite snail or 2. They come in awesome colors, eat algae, and can't reproduce in freshwater so they don't overpopulate and become pests.

Just an update- they tested my water with an API kit and said it was still high (about 2 for ammonia and 7.5 ph) so they said I should do a water change again, change the filter and come back in a week or so before adding more fish. I got an API kit while I was there as well as the new filter. I also asked if they could re-home the danio for me (I said I would give him to them.. I didn't need money just a good home since the tank is not a right fit) and they said no problem as long as he is healthy and has no diseases. I think I will probably go with Guppies in the tank, I may go with a breading set if they will take any "overstock".

You actually would benefit from several water changes. Also, just to make sure, do you mean they told you to change the filter cartridge? If so, that is terrible advice (sorry to say). The beneficial bacteria that convert the ammonia into nitrites and then into nitrates live mostly on the filer cartridge pad. Changing the filter pad out for a brand new one actually sets back the cycling process a lot.
I am glad they took your little danio though. :) I love my guppies. They are fun, active, and colorful. :)

Back
Top Bottom