10g stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James_in_MN

Aquarium Advice FINatic
As my tank gets closer to finishing its fishless cycle, I'm wondering how quickly I should be adding fish to it. I intend to put the following in it:

10-ish cherry shrimp
3-ish amano shrimp
6-ish cardinal tetra

Granted, you shouldn't quickly add a huge fish bioload to your tank, but most of what I'll be adding aren't fish. I think that if I add the shrimp first and wait to add the cardinal tetras until later, there won't be enough bioload for the beneficial bacteria, will there?

Tell me how your shrimp do, im looking to make my tank into a red cherry shrimp breeding ground.

i dunno but somthing about a shrimp tank is pretty cool, i dont like the ordinary fish in a tank kinda thing.

Also, i agree with brando. once you fully cycled your tank it will be able to handle the bioload.

I was under the impression that it's wiser to slowly stock your tank instead of getting them all at once. Granted, my 10g planned stock is different than most, but still...

That really only if u do a fish cycle. That really why fishless is so much better as ur building lots bb so u tank and filter can handle full load once ur cycle is compleate.

Even with a fishless cycle, it's still better to stock slowly. Too many things can go wrong when you add a bunch of variables at once.

James_in_MN, that list looks fine.

Thanks Jim.

Any recommendations on how I should add them to the tank? Perhaps do it in two groups? Maybe 1/2 the cardinals, 1/2 the red cherry shrimp, and all of the amano shrimp in the first group, then the rest later?

If that list is all you're going to put in the tank, then I'll agree with the previous posts that you can add that entire list at one time. Shrimp barely count against bioload and I don't see any potential problems with your stock list.

If you were planning to add otos, snails, or something else, I'd add them in a second group later.

Back
Top Bottom