10g stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gazingatstars12

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am thinking about starting a second aquarium. Im currently caring for a 20g that houses all my girlfriends fish and decided I would like one of my own. I originally wanted a celestial eye goldfish but after reading decided that it would quickly outgrow the tank and i don't have room in my room for 2 20 gallon plus tanks. Im not knowledgeable about fish species at all and need some ideas. I want fun social fish that won't outgrow the tank. I'm thinking about putting 3-5 fish in. Thanks in advance

One option woule be nano fish. Celestial Pearl Danios, Ember Tetras, Chili Rasboras, Pygmy Spotted Rasboras, killi fish, some species of rainbow fish.

For the Danios, Tetras, Rasboras, and Killi Fish, you could keep around 8, while with the rainbow fish I would say about five.

You could 'Multies', an African shell dwelling Cichlid. You could keep 1 male, 3-4 females.

You could do one male betta with 5 otos.

There are some others, but those are the ibes more commonly found in fish stores, and are not too difficult to keep.

Some other options would be 5 male guppies, 3 male platies or swordtails. No mollies, they are brackish fish, despite being sold as freshwater.

Look up on those species and let me know what you think :)

You could do dwarf puffers. Only two though. Any of the suggestions above would be a cool stocklist.

I don't know if any rainbowfish that can go in a 10. Even the smaller ones need a longer tank as they are active.

The other nano fish are good suggestions (be sure they are truly nano fish and not just small fish; neon tetras are small but too active for a 10).

A 10 gal betta tank would be nice. Not sure on 5 ottos in there though; they can be hard to keep and feed. Maybe some shrimp instead if the betta will tolerate other things in the tank with him/her as most won't.

I wouldn't do swordtails either; they grow rather large due to their fins and need a larger tank.

you definitely could not do swordtails in a 10. even platies , imo, are pushing it. and a doubt a 10 gallon could produce enough algea for ottos, which need a mature(>6 months set up)tank.

I really like zebra danios. Avoid the glofish type though. Zebra danios are active, hardy, and fun to watch, but they aren't very colorful. If you're going for color, try 6-8 neon tetras.

I really like zebra danios. Avoid the glofish type though. Zebra danios are active, hardy, and fun to watch, but they aren't very colorful. If you're going for color, try 6-8 neon tetras.

Sorry, I'd say all of those fish are too active for a 10 gal.

I like the dwarf puffers so I read some about them but because of the wildly inaccurate info I've found online e in the past have some questions...
1). They would require a soft sand substrate because gravel could damage their skin?
2) As they get older they get more aggressive. Would 2 adults together in a tank be a problem? I've also read that male to female ratio should also be considered.
3) diet. I've read that their diet must include live snails. I have a tropical fish store close to me. I assume they would be readily available there. What other types of food can I feed them I between the snails?
4). Habitat... is there anything else they require in the tank besides the sand?

If I decide to get them I want them to be happy for as long as they're around.

I was going to suggest dwarf puffers, but they aren't great fish for begginers. IMO I would skip them.

They need a fairly large filtration capacity sice they are messy eaters and will not eat flake or pettlet food, sometimes not even frozen.

You can do them but it would be harder.

I don't know if any rainbowfish that can go in a 10. Even the smaller ones need a longer tank as they are active.

The other nano fish are good suggestions (be sure they are truly nano fish and not just small fish; neon tetras are small but too active for a 10).

A 10 gal betta tank would be nice. Not sure on 5 ottos in there though; they can be hard to keep and feed. Maybe some shrimp instead if the betta will tolerate other things in the tank with him/her as most won't.

I wouldn't do swordtails either; they grow rather large due to their fins and need a larger tank.

Thanks. I did see someone on here who found a small species of Ranbow fish and kept them in a 10 gallon.

I was planning on an oversized filter before even looking at fish. I don't mind the extra work caring for them and I wasn't planning on setting up the tank for 3-6 months. Which would i think would give me adequate time to research the fish and how to care for them correctly.

I'll never get better if I don't try right?

PETCO has a sale on tanks. 1 dollar per gallon so I picked one up last night and started thinking about planning it out.

2 dwarf puffers would be ok in a ten gal, just make sure you have plenty of plants and hiding places. I highly recommend reading Terrance's profile on them or PMing him with specific questions. Snails are a great supplement for their diet, but otherwise frozen foods (like bloodworns) will usually work. If not, be prepared to get some live foods. Many DPs sold in stores are unhealthy and have internal parasites unfortunately. In any case it sounds like you'll have lots of time to research so good luck if you go that route -- they are truly fun fish to own.

I have a couple guppies in my girlfriends tank. I'm going to check out that profile as soon as I get a chance to go on the computer.... I don't think I can do it on my android app. The nano fish sounded cool but I think i would be too worried that they would be sucked up into the filter. I had a bad experience with a bunch of neon tetra about 9 years ago

I have a couple guppies in my girlfriends tank. I'm going to check out that profile as soon as I get a chance to go on the computer.... I don't think I can do it on my android app. The nano fish sounded cool but I think i would be too worried that they would be sucked up into the filter. I had a bad experience with a bunch of neon tetra about 9 years ago

Im on the android app too... people are brilliant.

I know I love this app. I didn't even realize there was one until I was checking for a reply on my browser and all of a sudden I was in the Google play store. It totally made my day

I wasn't they only one then :). Usually those pop ups annoy me but I got lucky with this one

One option woule be nano fish. Celestial Pearl Danios, Ember Tetras, Chili Rasboras, Pygmy Spotted Rasboras, killi fish, some species of rainbow fish.

For the Danios, Tetras, Rasboras, and Killi Fish, you could keep around 8, while with the rainbow fish I would say about five.

You could 'Multies', an African shell dwelling Cichlid. You could keep 1 male, 3-4 females.

You could do one male betta with 5 otos.

There are some others, but those are the ibes more commonly found in fish stores, and are not too difficult to keep.

Some other options would be 5 male guppies, 3 male platies or swordtails. No mollies, they are brackish fish, despite being sold as freshwater.

Look up on those species and let me know what you think :)

Mollies can live and thrive in freshwater, brackish, or saltwater.

Back
Top Bottom