10g stocking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicuz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
While I am waiting for my tank to cycle, I am looking into what type of fish I should get. Here’s what I want:

3 platies
2 guppies
5 neon tetras
1 julii cory cat care

Is this too much? If it is, how many fish I need to remove?

Also, how many fish can I put in my tank at once? I know this depends on my water quality but I am looking for some general guidelines.

Thank you in advance.

Aqadvisor.com

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well I'm not sure about the rest, but the juli Cory cat needs to be in schools of 5 or more, so you should remove that from your list.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would add one type of fish at a time. Probably the neons first (that's what I do) since they're inexpensive but kind of sensitive to conditions so a great way to get your parameters in order!

[emoji192]Hippo
[emoji216]Snickers, Kevin & Bacon
[emoji226]Grumpy Gills & Tramp + various pals
[emoji196]Webster

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but since the suggestion was made to drop the Cory from the tank, i have the question: how important is it to have these bottom feeders like the Cory? Should every tank have something to clean up the mess, or is that not the case?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Bottom feeders are helpful (less gravel vac-ing) and definitely improve water quality. Cory cats are awesome but shrimp do a pretty good job too!

[emoji192]Hippo
[emoji216]Snickers, Kevin & Bacon
[emoji226]Grumpy Gills & Tramp + various pals
[emoji196]Webster

Just like Lotocus said, shrimp do a great job too but most shrimp are escape artists. So if you go that route, ensure there are no ways for the shrimp to escape out the top. Also, for a tank as small as yours, I second the motion to not get Cory cats, OR 'placos.' Placos come in really small sizes at the fish store but if you go to a mom and pops store, you'll see a ton of super large placos that were returned. They get well larger than a foot long. If you don't have live plants in the tank, you probably won't get as much algae either so I would recommend 'Ottos' or bushy nose (also known as bristle nose) pleco's. Both of these only get 2-4 inches long and won't damage your tank as they get bigger

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Any type of Plecos aren't recommended for 10gs cause of their very high bio load

Fishobsessed7

Back
Top Bottom