10G with custom lighting - Photo Log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Water Test

I did a water test and this is interesting, PH went up from 7.5 to 8.0

PH 8.0
Ammonia 1.0
Nitrite 0.0
Nitrate 0.0

Additionally, I found a website that replaces the WPG rule for updated higher intensity lights.
The new calculations are based on lumens/Sq inch. (depth is assumed under 24")
It calculated that a 10 gallon tank with CFL's requires the following:

Compact Fluorescent 56WVeryHigh 43WHigh 28WModerate 14WLow
Here is the link to the site http://woo.gotdns.com/Aquarium/Lighting.htm

I did a water test and this is interesting, PH went up from 7.5 to 8.0

It calculated that a 10 gallon tank with CFL's requires the following:

Compact Fluorescent 56WVeryHigh 43WHigh 28WModerate 14WLow
Here is the link to the site New Lights?

The PH is the same as mine, have you tried letting a cup of tap water sit out for 24hrs, then testing the PH? It will likely read 8.0 as that is your normalized PH, you just get a "false" reading straight from the tap b/c of co2 in the water.

Also keep in mind that those wattages are for tube lights, spiral/pigtail screw in bulbs are less efficient at getting light into the tank/plants due to losing much light to restrike. But i have been having OK success with 2x13w spirals. With 2x20w my nitrates dropped to 0 and caused algae. Now that I have ferts I may go back to the 2x20w bulbs.

I think I will try some ferts and excel. What should I look for in ferts?
Those Wattage's were for CFL's (which are 135% the light intensity of T12's)

The wattage that they talk about"135%" better is for PC not screw in bulbs.
This is a PC bulb, its like a T5bulb:
Aquarium Lighting: Current Compact Fluorescent Square Pin Bulbs

Thats what I was trying to tell you. Screw in bulbs are only like 800 lumens for 13w. So you have ~1600 lumens its low light. I have the same in my 10G, IMO its basically the same as the stock 15w T8 due to the restrick and lack of a reflector.

For ferts you need N,P,K and micros. you need them all but if your fully stocked you wont have to dose much at all.

i re did the lighting in my tank, and yeah, the 14w ones i got were only 900ish lumens...its still decent light, but its not in the super bright range by any means. i used polished aluminum for a shroud/baffle/whatever you want to call it on my lights, works quite well. i am also using the pool filter sand in my ten gallon, takes a long time to get clear...took several days. there is some sort of poly fiber filter material i picked up at a petco in a huge bag a year or so ago...that stuff works awsome for cleaning the small particles out of the water.

I trimmed the plants. they were growing really fast.
I have what appears to be a Diatom outbreak. The Guppies are eating the diatoms (although not nearly as fast as they reproduce).
I had some really high ammonia readings throughout last week. they have dropped significantly to below .25
PH 7.2
Ammonia <0.25
Nitrites 1.0
Nitrates 5.0

Here's a photo.

091508%20%28Small%29.JPG

Here is an updated photo.
I just added the FLC and it still has some large leaves from when it was grown emerged.

100308%20%28Small%29.JPG

Some more photos. - Sorry that my camera is so bad under the new ligting I have in the aquarium. (2x 23W Spiral CFL)
Over the past weeks I have added 10 Celestial Pearl Danios (AKA Galaxy rasboras).
one interesting point is that the CPDs would not school until I added the last 4.
I have 4 Pygmy Corydoras and 1 Otocinclus.

The newest plants are FLC, Baby Tears, and Riccia

They are all too small and skittish to appear on camera at this time though.

FTS
100408FTS%20%28Small%29.JPG

Left
100408Left%20%28Small%29.JPG

Right
100408Right%20%28Small%29.JPG

Closeup
100408center%20%28Small%29.JPG

Thank you, I think it will look great when it fills in.
I hope the tannin clears up now that I boiled the wood.

Here is a new shot of the tank at a slight angle.
I hope to get a new camera soon so just one shot today since the bad quality is really starting to bug me.

110608FTS.JPG

OK. So I lied, here are some more.
I have really cool photo of my 4 Corys sitting on top of an Anubia leaf. This is their favorite hang out spot. I have grown to really love these little guys, and last week I noticed there was a baby in the tank which hatched and grew without my intervention.
Late last week he got big enough to see a stripe along his side. Now he definitely looks like a small Cory.
Anyway, here are the photos

110608FTS2%20%28Small%29.JPG

110608Left%20%28Small%29.JPG

110608Right%20%28Small%29.JPG

110608Pygmys_on_Anubia%20%28Small%29.JPG

OK. So I lied, here are some more.
I have really cool photo of my 4 Corys sitting on top of an Anubia leaf. This is their favorite hang out spot. I have grown to really love these little guys, and last week I noticed there was a baby in the tank which hatched and grew without my intervention.
Late last week he got big enough to see a stripe along his side. Now he definitely looks like a small Cory.
Anyway, here are the photos

110608FTS2%20%28Small%29.JPG

110608Left%20%28Small%29.JPG

110608Right%20%28Small%29.JPG

110608Pygmys_on_Anubia%20%28Small%29.JPG
i love that reddish purply plant. what is it?

The Red foreground plant is a Rubra Water Lily - Nymphaea sp. 'rubra'
It's a bulb plant that grows pretty fast in my tank.
The red does not show very well in the picture.

Back
Top Bottom