Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-25-2011, 09:11 PM   #21

he's thinking of when your done cycling right now you wanna decrease ammonia as in if you have 4ppm then a 50% water chage brings it to 2ppm and then another 50% brings that to 1ppm ad so on and you have to have it at .25 or lower or it can cause ammonia burns. and your lucky my petco didnt eve have the api master kit im about to order it

Old 04-25-2011, 09:15 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to nohika
I know that...from what I've read, anyways. But my family (I thought my Mom would be more on board...) is convinced that the internet is a bunch of liars, despite the start-up guide /agreeing/ with me. I just...I hate when people disapprove.

Am I doing the right thing, defying her and getting the API kit and testing the water? I haven't opened it yet (I'm starving), but I plan to test things tonight and figure out how to change water if necessary - I've never done it before.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:17 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohika
Just went and got the api kit...getting a lot of eye-rolling from my Mom, since the petco person disagreed with what I was doing, says to not do a PWC of more than 10% a day, etc, and (according to my brother and mother and everyone else in the house) the PETCO person knows far more than the internet.

I'm just a little upset at this point, and not exactly sure where and what to believe. I want to do the best for my fish and future to-be fish.
No, the Petco guy doesn't want you to large pwc's because of two reasons. Number one, the guy doesn't care if your fish live or die...we do. Number two, technically a tank will cycle faster with fewer pwc's, but this is deadly for the fish because it causes the ammonia to spike and force the bacteria to grow while the fish suffer burning gills from ammonia poisoning. The "Internet" in general is not necessarily a good source of info...but the members of us on AA are true hobbyists, fish enthusiasts and experts in many areas of fish keeping.
eco23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:18 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohika View Post
Just went and got the api kit...getting a lot of eye-rolling from my Mom, since the petco person disagreed with what I was doing, says to not do a PWC of more than 10% a day, etc, and (according to my brother and mother and everyone else in the house) the PETCO person knows far more than the internet.

I'm just a little upset at this point, and not exactly sure where and what to believe. I want to do the best for my fish and future to-be fish.
The beneficial bacteria you are growing is in your substrate and in your filter media..it is not in your water. There is absolutely no harm in the water changes. I know it's frustrating when the people around you aren't truly understanding...hang in there.. you're doing the right thing.

I also agree that a 10 gal is not a suitable home for black skirts, they get far too large and active. It is also too small for a full grown bristlenose pleco They get about 4" long and are big waste producers.. I would go with 29 gals and up for them.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:20 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Doing a water change is easy. Its as easy as getting water out, and putting new in. You just need to make sure you add a dechlorinator to all the new water. Do you have a gravel vacuum? That makes it really simple. PWC's need to be performed anytime the ammonia level reaches .25 because this is where the ammonia will begin burning and scarring their gills. Another other option would be to return the fish to the store and cycle the tank without fish. That might be a good middle ground to avoid any conflict or disagreements in your family and not potentially harm the fish.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:21 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

That's what I tried to explain to her...and my brother. I tend to ignore him because he's an arsehole. I'd bet that most of the fish people have no tanks and have no experience with them. I tried to explain that the ammonia is going to build up, and what's going to happen, etc, but...

I do plan to transfer them, we just aren't able to at the moment...they probably won't be in my "final" tank set-up. What would you guys recommend?

Edit: We have a gravel vac...just not sure what to put the water in since I'm not sure where a bucket or anything is.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:23 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

A bucket would obviously be ideal, but maybe use a cooler or a water pitcher if you need.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:24 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think it would be best, now that you have that test kit, if you put those tetras in your moms tank and get a bottle of pure ammonia (super cheap) and do a fishless cycle
Old 04-25-2011, 09:25 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohika View Post
That's what I tried to explain to her...and my brother. I tend to ignore him because he's an arsehole. I'd bet that most of the fish people have no tanks and have no experience with them. I tried to explain that the ammonia is going to build up, and what's going to happen, etc, but...

I do plan to transfer them, we just aren't able to at the moment...they probably won't be in my "final" tank set-up. What would you guys recommend?

Edit: We have a gravel vac...just not sure what to put the water in since I'm not sure where a bucket or anything is.

If you can get some, the dollar tree usually has 2 gal buckets. Just rinse them with hot water and never put any soap or chemicals in.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:28 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

Annndd now she's playing with my test kit. Hecka moly. ...not exactly sure how to broach the subject with her, since she hasn't been very favorable to anything else (of transferring them and me doing a fishless cycle).

Edit: Yup, went like I thought it would. Fishies are staying in my tank.

We have a water pitcher I could use...if it's been washed, though, what should I do? Does it have to be not-washed recently?

Tags
10 gallon, cycle, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com