10gl Betta and 55gl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtnee

Aquarium Advice Freak
My 55Gl cycled. I did a fishless cycle with the shrimp, added biospira I think that is what it was called. Filled with all tap water in the start had off the chart PH, started to replace evap. water in the tank with bottled water, treated it while fishless. Got my PH down to a healthy range for my choice of stock. Over the next few months I will be testing every week my PH to make sure it stays put. I have it in the range of what the bottled water I use and tap combined are so I dont need to treat for PH and it will remain stable and not off the charts.

Friday my tank cycled and I put Gary our apple snail in the 55gl from the 10gl. I had to work all weekend and planned to go fish shopping on Monday (yesterday). Gary did fine all weekend in the tank. He is happy in his new home, he is all over and explores and even had managed to knock over our little sign in the tank thinking he could sit on it. LOL

I have gotten to know Gary well over the 6mo we have had him. I have his feeding down. I know just how much of a alge waffer I can give him to keep him happy, plus he LOVES tropical sinking food! We don't have leftovers in the tank because I give him just what he will eat and he is growing like crazy! We bought him pea sized and he is half dollar size and his shell is healthy and he is doing so good!

My planned stock
2 Spotted Pictus
1 Apple Snail
School of fish
1 Dwarf Pleco

This tank is unplanted.

Yesterday I bought my 2 Spotted Pictus. I got the 55gl tank wanting that type of fish. I am pretty sure I am going to get some white tetra (great advice from this forum) for my school since they will be a good schooling fish for the middle and not to small for the catfish to have a snack. They only had a few and I am waiting for Thursday for the new shipment of fish to get my school. I dont want to wait to long!

How many of these tetra should I get?

The dwarf pleco I want to wait on that guy for awhile. I want the tank to me more established with more alge for the guy. I want to focus on Gary and his alge needs and treats first as we grow this tank.

How much of a bioload will adding my dwarf alge eater add to the tank later on when I add him? My LFS has them in stock often and they are not what I would call a baby. They are 3 inches long already and not what I would call a small fish to add in the tank. LOL At times they get younger ones in that are smaller but I would like to get the ones that have grown already.

I also would love to add another apple snail to the tank. I am prepared that they could breed and I may have to remove snail clutches from the tank. I am okay with that.

I was thinking of adding the dwarf and new snail together in two months or so. Does this seem logical and okay?

That will complete my plans and what I want out of my 55gl tank.

My 10gl tank

I placed a male betta in there yesterday as well. I didnt want to leave it fishless as I want to keep it going. I want just one fish in there as this will be my hospital and waiting tank and I figure I can remove the Betta pretty easy and use it for those needs if needed later on.

The Betta seems stressed. He is hiding alot by the one fake plant left in the tank. He doesnt seem happy in there. I guess I thought he would be happy with so much room (I saved him from Walmart)

Any one here have a Betta in a 10gl with advise?

The tank has a 5-15gl filter on it. I have a airstone all along the back of the tank. Is this to much for him? He seems to struggle swimming with the water movement. I previously had a betta in a 1 gallon tank that did well and was very active. That is why I wonder about this one in the 10gl.

What can I do to make this 10gl tank good for a Betta?

I have my beta in a 30g community. They typically do not like a lot of water flow, however mine seems to enjoy hanging out in the current. You might turn your pump down or only use an airbar on half of the back.

I would put him in the 55 gal as long as everything you have is peaceful.

jamesrm said:
I have my beta in a 30g community. They typically do not like a lot of water flow, however mine seems to enjoy hanging out in the current. You might turn your pump down or only use an airbar on half of the back.

I would put him in the 55 gal as long as everything you have is peaceful.

I would love to put the Betta in the 55gl tank, but I cant because Bettas are known for picking on snails. I have a apple snail that is very active and moves all over in the 55gl tank.

I may try to turn the flow down some in the 10gl tank and see how that works.

I would turn the flow down. That should alleviate the stress to some degree.

I would recommend getting your pleco now. Reason being is its not a good move to get fish from a new shipment. Most are not shipped in the best conditions and many die in the first couple of days. I would hate for you to have to go through the expense and problems (if you miss one and it starts to rot you can have an ammonia spike) and it not even be your fault. We generally recommend waiting until as long as possible AFTER a shipment to purchase your fish.

Now that you know they come in on Thursday, I'd wait until at least next Tuesday for the school (preferably longer than that) to weed out any possible sick fish. You should still be able to get a pretty good stocking selection (though this time of year EVERYONE is purchasing fish for uncycled tanks :( ).

I/we are so happy you did a fishless!

Back
Top Bottom