Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I will take the water in to get tested, though I really doubt it is the test. We saw the gradual climb in nitrites, and our other tanks show 0 nitrites with the same test. It is an API Master Test Kit that is about a year and a half old.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That's crazy. I have no clue. Keep us posted!

Old 07-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #13
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Stop dosing ammonia. You probably already dosed today, so dont tomorrow. Lets wait a few days to see if nitrites come down on their own. If they dont, do a 100% wc (or two) then redose. When nitrites reach insanely high levels, it may take 2-3 100% water changes to bring them down to a readable number (under 2ppm).
Old 07-12-2012, 09:03 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ok, thanks so much for your help! We will leave it alone for a few days and hope something changes.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:09 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie

So we did a massive water change, and the nitrites finally registered between 2 and 5. We have been waiting for the nitrites to drop, and then adding ammonia at 1 ppm for the last few days. I added 2ppm ammonia yesterday morning to do my final check, and it was down to .25 this morning. It looks like we have finally cycled!
Old 07-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooobs
So we did a massive water change, and the nitrites finally registered between 2 and 5. We have been waiting for the nitrites to drop, and then adding ammonia at 1 ppm for the last few days. I added 2ppm ammonia yesterday morning to do my final check, and it was down to .25 this morning. It looks like we have finally cycled!
Progress! You are finally cycled when ammonia and nitrite zero out on their own. You're right around the corner!
Old 07-17-2012, 10:31 AM   #17
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you plan on fully stocking this tank right away or gradually stocking it? For now, continue to dose ammonia daily & work on gradually increasing the dose to 4ppm. Once your tank can process 4ppm steadily on a daily basis for a couple of days in a row, its safe to say your cycled. You are getting close!
Old 07-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Newbie

So I just tested and nitrites are down to 0. So it took 26 hours to go from 2ppm ammonia to 0 nitrites. We are planning on gradually stocking, starting with a school of 15 rasboras and a school of 15 red eye tetras. Do I need to continue dosing with ammonia, or am I ok to get some fish tomorrow?
Old 07-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #19
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

I honestly would give it a few more days of daily dosing. Newly cycled tanks are a bit tempermental & you want to be sure your getting steady zeroes 24hrs after dosing.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:23 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk
I honestly would give it a few more days of daily dosing. Newly cycled tanks are a bit tempermental & you want to be sure your getting steady zeroes 24hrs after dosing.
+1 you've waited this long so just give it a few extra days to make sure

Tags
120 gallon, 20 gallon, cycle, fishless, fishless cycle, gallon, nitrites

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com