120g oscar tank | barrel sump build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks nigelk8485. I tablespoon is all it takes for about 180 gallons of water? That's some strong stuff

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Pure ammonia is strong stuff :) that's what I used to cycle my 75g

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

75G Oscar tank

Thanks nigelk8485. I tablespoon is all it takes for about 180 gallons of water? That's some strong stuff

Oh, I used 75 gallons. 180 would be 35 mL or 2.5 tablespoons.

Just something to consider, though you have this massive filtration, there still isn't a lot of room for the oscars in the tank. Unless you end up with a pair there will be issues using such a cramped tank for two oscars. Even with a pair there will likely be some issues.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I know I want an albino oscar. Main reason for the project in would be ok with a single one. I just can't see myself building this and controlling my urges watch a single 4# baby for a year

Made some good progress today :)

Attachments

• 1428299911423.jpg
    1428299911423.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 61
I ended up using auto window tint. Painted some 4" pvc tunes I already had laying around. Used the home Depot play sand rinsed it in an extra 55g barrel all at once with a shovel and a hose

So far my total out of pocket expense is $225. The tank was a straight up trade for a guitar I had. I ordered led light adhesive strips with a remote control that changes colors that I will house if a roof gutter painted black as my hood cut to size.

Following. I am in the process of putring together an oscar tank too. So far it is nothing but hardware and the conceptual design.

Keep the updates coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Following. I am in the process of putring together an oscar tank too. So far it is nothing but hardware and the conceptual design.

Keep the updates coming.

Will do. I have always wanted and oscar tank. So much fun making it come to life. The big battle I have been fighting in my head is having 2 Oscars or 1. I get lots of conflicting experiences

If you have a 120 gallon tank then two can work. If you have a 75 gallon tank and you're counting the sump capacity to make it 120 then just go with one oscar.

They need a minimum of a 75 by themselves due to size, not because of the mess they make. The huge sump is good for giving you some lenience as far as water changes go but it doesn't give you extra space for the fish.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

$8 for this big piece of plastic rain gutter. Another $8 for end caps. $26 online for led adhesive lighting strips with power supply. And bam aquarium lighting done that allows me to change between colors with a remote control. I will have enough to yield 2 48" lights both with double row led if I really wanted. 2 hood/light color changing setups for under $50. Cat beat the price

Attachments

• 1428370131473.jpg
    1428370131473.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 61
The hardware store is across the street from me. Can see it from my window lol. They custom gut Glass or acrylic for $3.99 a square foot. Gonna have them cut me some new sheets for the top of the tank. Lights should shine bright

Cut the gutter in half with a hack saw. Going happy with the krylon fusion black flat spray paint. I feel this light goes together quicker than driving to the pet store to pay triple the cost. Can't wait to see it in The tank

I'm doing 2 coats. It's so long that I only sprayed half at a time. So 4 times of spraying and waiting about 20 minutes

Attachments

• 1428371797358.jpg
    1428371797358.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 71
And it's done. The cool thing is you can choose from any color of krylon you like. I like the flat black. And the inside is still white which will reflect the led very nicely. I'll add another pic of this when the tank is lit up

Attachments

• 1428372787565.jpg
    1428372787565.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 67
Looking good. I am coming from planted tanks, so light will not be an issue on my end.

On a side note, are tou considering plants on your sump to suck nitrates?

I have no plan for plants at this point. Perhaps once I have more than a little baby fish and they are full grown I will

Seeing your setup, I would seriously look into drilling your tank. I had a hob overflow for abouy a year and just do not trust them.

Most failures of the hob overflows only mean a few gallons of water before the pump runs dry, but you're looking at far far more than that. The repair bill for that much water would be ungodly high.

Seeing your setup, I would seriously look into drilling your tank. I had a hob overflow for abouy a year and just do not trust them.

Most failures of the hob overflows only mean a few gallons of water before the pump runs dry, but you're looking at far far more than that. The repair bill for that much water would be ungodly high.

Good advice thanks

I'm not sure if the glass is tempered or not. I'd have to check. Guess if I'm gonna drill it now would be the best time. Otherwise I could add a second overflow box as a fail safe.

Good advice thanks

I'm not sure if the glass is tempered or not. I'd have to check. Guess if I'm gonna drill it now would be the best time. Otherwise I could add a second overflow box as a fail safe.

Ive never heard of a tank wall being tempered unless its a super old tank, however the bottom usually is. There are a few ways to check, but i dont remember them off the top of my head.

Ive never heard of a tank wall being tempered unless its a super old tank, however the bottom usually is. There are a few ways to check, but i dont remember them off the top of my head.

Some tanks like my 40B have a sticker right in the mid support that says "TEMPERED GLASS". That's the easiest way of telling lol.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom