120gal tank to aquaponics system help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nomzombie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I seem to be having trouble finding aquaponics information relevant to my system. I have an established 120-150 gal tank. (Home built octagon tank so I'm rough on the exact gallons) I want to turn it into an indoor aquaponics system but all the information I have been finding is for micro systems up to 10gallons or very large scale outdoor pond systems. I'm looking for something in between. I have a wooden top on my tank with dual doors and I was hoping to put a planter on one side with a drain pipe and pump the water out of the tank into the planter. But the problem is I have a canister filter. There's one system that I've seen on YouTube of a guy that has basically the system I want but he doesn't answer YouTube comments anymore so I don't know what kind of filter system he's using. He has some sort of filter floss and red worms and that's exactly what I want. Is it just a stand alone water pump with a tube directly into some filter floss in the planter? I'll try and post the links to the videos here so maybe somebody could identify it for me? Any help or advice on an aquaponics system would be greatly appreciated.
https://youtu.be/B4l3VJFestY[URL] Sent from my 0PJA2 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1462312015320.jpg
    1462312015320.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 54
It should really be as simple as pumping a regulated amount of water into the planter box. I wouldn't try and run it off the canister because I'm sure it's got way to much flow that you won't want to regulate if your using the canister as a filter.

However the beauty of an aqua phonics system is that the plants do the filtering. The video is showing you probably the most basic setup. His filter is the grow bed and plants while the filter floss just keeps the solid waste from entering the bed. So you shouldn't need any other filtration in your tank with a sufficiently sized aqua phonics setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's what I thought. Thank you so much! I've done so much research on these types of systems that my face is blue! I just could never get a good look at that filter

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom