125 Gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PBirdsong

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay, so we already have a 55 and plan on getting another 55, but I am looking at buying a 125 at the end of the year. My question to you other 125 owners is this: does it weigh TOO much? I keep getting mixed info. One guy said it should be fine on even a second floor. Another guy almost flipped out on me when I mentioned it. And he was still concerned even after I said it would be setup on the first floor. So what's everyone's thought?

Also . . . . anyone ever had a tank go through the floor?

I think you will find that the answer is not that simple, since your second floor and madchild's brother's second floor may not be identical. It really depends on several factors, such as whether the tank will span several joists or run parallel to them. It will also depend on the stated live weight limit of the floor. Keep in mind that the tank will be there for a while, so the stress it places on the floor will be sustained and gradual. That tank may weigh 1300-1500 pounds, all concentrated in a small area.

well if you could Pbirdsong, and really want the tank and are a bit worried about it being too heavy, add supports underneath where the tank is going to go....but if its a decent house/apartment and built well you should be fine...good luck!!! :D

It also depends on the dimensions of the tank. I know that my 150 gal tank has alot more weight per square inch on the floor than the standard 150 gal tanks.

Thinking of it this way.... I have a full sized waterbed (just a bit larger than a king size matress) on the second floor. Sure it has a bigger footprint to distribute the weight, but the weight is still there. We don't even has as much as a sag in the floor. Perfectly stable. Your 125 gal will hold up to about 1062 pounds of water (roughly 8.5 lbs per gallon). Of course, you don't even have the full range of water. Your 125 gal may only hold 100 gallons or so, but then you'll have to add in substrate weight as well as stand weight. I think the 1300-1500 pound estimate is about right. As mentioned, however, support it well enough on a stand with a decent footprint and you'll be fine. Any well built house will easily be able to support it.

The difference though between the waterbed and the tank is the distribution of the weight. There is more weight per square inch of the tank than the waterbed. I have seen floors that have bowed due to the weight, but never blown through. Just be sure it is against the wall.

i'm am about to set up a 125--dimensions: 72"L x 24"D x 17"H. i have estimated that with substrate (3" depth=approx 300lbs) and water, rocks, plants, fish etc, that it will weigh between 1600 and 2000 pounds. i live in an old armory, so am quite sure that the floor will support the weight, but i spent a lot of time researching stands that would take this type of weight. since the tank is an odd size--24"x72" footprint, i realized that i would have to go with a custom frame since it's important the the tank corners reast squarely on the frame corners for maximum stability. but i personally don't like the wood ones--i wanted something more modern. so i researched wire shelving systems. i ended up "designing" my own stand using nexel wire shelving. 1 24x36 shelf is capable of supporting 800lbs of weight. so putting 2 next to each other will support 1600 pounds (i verified this with someone who does staging and rigging for theatre). i am creating a stand with 2 shelves side by side (bottom), 2 on top separated by 14" posts (8 of them). the 2 posts in the middle where the 2 shelved "join" are clamped together to provide more stability and strength. in addition, the posts rest on 8 locking casters, each capable of taking 1600 pounds of weight, so theoretically, if i ever need to move the tank, i can (after taking out the rocks, water etc., etc.) the tank will rest squarely on the corners of each shelf and the double posts in the center will provide extra support and stability.

i considered heavy duty wire shelves (which nexel offers) but ultimately rejected them because they were double the price, and i am convinced that the set up i have will be sufficent.

the main factors are making sure that the 4 corners are adequately supported, that there is center support, and that the tank isn't raised too high off the ground. the higher, the more unstable--but that may pertain specifically to my stand since it only rests on 8 main points.

hope this helps...good luck

Do you have a picture or even a rough drawing that you can scan post here? I think that it would help.

But I see another problem here now. The discussion has been primarily on the foot print of the tank and distributing the weight of the tank. But really now the tank's weight is not being distributed over a 72" x 24" area. Based on your greater assumption of 2000 lbs, your pound per square inch would be 1.15 lbs. Not really a big deal if the floor has decent support. But now if the tank is now placed on 8 casters, you no longer have a 72" x 24" foot print. What you have is 8 equal 1" x 1" (assuming that your casters are 1" wide this will be the approx. contact area) feet to distribute the weight. The pound per square inch has jumped to 250 lbs. You have to find out if the floor can support that weight. On a concrete slab it would be no problem. But if it is a wooden floor, I would never try it. That is a pretty steep weight for a wooden floor to sustain for any length of time even if you were to place the casters all on floor joists and not the plywood in between.

Okay . . . the level of math on this thread has jumped up too high! It's starting to sound like one of those annoying word prblems we used to have in school. "Train A is traveling 60 mph and is 80 miles away . . . "

I knew it . . . math will one day save my life . . . or keep my floor from caving in.
:D

make sure it runs Across the Load bearing structural floor frames, and not with it..
Prefferably add another steel load bearing beam under the legs of the tank and crossing at least 2 load bearing beams.
JMO

Cool article. I now feel dumb. :lol:

Actually I really did like. I just had to read a couple of paragraphs twice . . . and one of them it was more like five times.

ah yes, mentallylost, i see what you mean.

here are the casters: http://nexel.superiorshelving.com/c...17-46463&&c=detail.htm&itemid=CA5BP4&bcount=1

i will have 8 of them. i think it's a moot point, since the way i am designing the stand, it would have rested on the 8 posts anyway--and they are in inch diameter too--so your comment about weight distribution is still an issue. this is obviously not my area of expertise:)

however, i am lucky enough to have a VERY solid concrete floor--on of the benefits of living in what used to be an armory--so i think i'll be ok.

what do other people do? do they have solid bases to take more of the load?

i can try to put together a diagram tonight after work to show you how i am constructing the stand...

Back
Top Bottom