12g Re-Do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galligak

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've decided after switching one of my tanks to sand to switch the other to sand! It's my sister's 12g tank that's in her room. I just bought some black sand from the store and some plants as well. I'm planning on taking out the gravel, getting a different driftwood piece, getting some better decoration and planting it majorly.

Ok here are some pictures of the things that I got at the store today:
Black sand (10lbs):
img_1723493_0_5b4c1c6a403294f8e7b567c8a4b8aa7e.jpg

Riccia:
img_1723493_1_54578941bf3347f833933bd7ca0e7bcc.jpg

Anacharis:
img_1723493_2_69817083d70e406e1a453d206e9f1f7a.jpg

A rock:):
img_1723493_3_36a621c8c2d343fa2d6dd113e5aac8fc.jpg

Also what's the best way to get rid of snails from plants? My riccia has a bunch of snails and I don't want to infect my tank...

I'm also planning on getting some Anubis. Any other ideas about plants? I have 2 13w bulbs, and I've been thinking about CO2 as well. So ideas?

Thanks librarygirl!
I'm making a list of plants to get for the tank, please tell me if they won't be good!
Pennywort
Micro Sword
Anubis
Riccia
Anacharis
Christmas Moss
Wisteria?/Water Sprite?

I'm scratching off the micro sword and replacing it with dwarf sag. And I'm adding a banana plant to the list.
I have 2 13 watt bulbs (the daylight ones with the 6700k). Where does that leave me in the ratings of plants? Medium or low?

Here's the stocking list thus far for the tank:
x1 Male Betta
x7 Chili Rasbora or other tiny Rasbora
x? Mini moth catfish or Pygmy corydoras?
x10 or so shrimp of some kind

Sound good? The filter is meant for a 20g tank...

take care when planting the banana plant, it needs to have just the tip going into the sand, and no flow hitting it for a while so it can root properly

stocking looks fine

just my 2 cents

if you want active bottom dwellers, skip the mini moth catfish, they hide all day, and are hardly active,

for pygmy corys, just do 4 they should be fine

for shrimp, get something which will breed, if you want to make some money or just watch them breed

RCS, snowball shrimps, green bab. shrimps, CRS, blue pearl shrimps, are just a few easy breeders, the easiest being RCS= red cherry shrimps

lighting wise, I'd say that is high end of medium and you might be seeing a bit of algae, maybe you would like to try DIY Co2? that would help and your plants would grow faster, and it is quite cheap

I've been looking into CO2 but it looks fairly hard to do... Plus the drop checker thing??? Would just liquid dosing work? What type would you suggest?
Also any ideas on how to de snail Riccia or anacharis???

Just cleaned out the sand. Didn't take much at all! Just 2 small rinsings... I'm going to switch out the stuff tomorrow.

Here's the stock list as of now:
Plants:
Anacharis
Anubis
Banana Plant
Dwarf Sag
Pennywort
Riccia
Wisteria/Water Sprite
X-Mass Moss

Fish:
x1 Male Crowntail betta
x7-8 Chili/Pheonix/Spotted Rasboras
x4-5 Pygmy Corydoras
x10+ RCS or some other kind

Sound good? Also any ideas on liquid ferts or tips on DIY CO2?

I'm now about half way through changing to sand. This tank was a lot more messy than my other one... But I guess that's what I get for letting my 9 year old sister have a tank and believe that she will help clean it...

Here's the tank for now. And I also drew a small sketch of what the tank will somewhat resemble. Just for identification: the mass of squiggles on the left is wisteria, the plant in the middle is anubais nana on driftwood but that might change, the next plant is crypt wendii red, then some anacharis, the two plants that are creating an "archway" is pennywort, the two rock will be covered in Riccia, there is dwarf sag and one banana plant on the bottom... That description is a bit confusing, I think... But yeah, my current dream tank!

Cory question:
Is there a big difference between the corydora pygmaeus and the corydora hastatus?

So I'm going to go look for some wisteria tonight and hopefully de snail the Riccia and the anacharis. Then make Riccia rocks:)

Didn't get any wisteria last night:(
But am de snailing:). Using vinegar and water. 1/2 cup vinegar to 6 cups water. Think that'll be good:)

I have the anacharis and the riccia stones in! Now Picture time! The riccia was actually very easy to do!
img_1730177_0_c018ae60ea0a9fed9a625ac41225e4ab.jpg
img_1730177_1_5dd47a9a0c4b014fb08f150c1275bf41.jpg
img_1730177_2_7ab60f3f913dd6ed8d16514f1fd74721.jpg
img_1730177_3_b00d492bee6a2f96c4aff35d703b4a54.jpg

And I put some in my 8g tank...
img_1730177_4_f56da2d4012e59f9e7f04f2798d6b2fc.jpg

I'm also going to new pet store tonight. Hopefully I'll get some stuff:)

GuppyLover said:
Tanks look awesome!! How did you get Riccia on the stones?

Rocks, stones, a shower puff thing and the wire cord things. It was shockingly easy:)

I've done a lot today to the tank. I've added plants:). I have wisteria, hornwort and banana plants now in the tank.

Since seeing the list that serverum mama put out I'm now thinking about ember tetras. Has anyone had any experience with them? I'm curious about how many I could have and just some general information about them. I've read some but nothing beats experience!

Back
Top Bottom