12G Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David03

Aquarium Advice Regular
Greetings again all,
Thanks again for your previous posts guiding me to purchase the 12G tank for my sis, and abandoning the idea of the 5G (which I suggested she make a single betta tank).

She needs some stocking tips, and based on some of your profiles, this is what I've put together for her. What do you think (for maximizing color and just plain fun fish)?

2 Cory Cats
1 Male Dwarf Gourami
5-6 Neon Tetras

Is this pushing the limit for the 12G? If not, I'll allow the rest of you to make suggestions for the remainder. Color, personality and hardiness are the primary traits we're looking for

Thanks so much.
David

I think thats just about perfect for a 12 gallon, of course it is a bit over 12 inches, but as long as you keep up with the water quality it should be good, testing the water and doing regular water changes.

Also, don't add all the fish at once, even if you do a fishless cycle, When your cycle is done, i would start with the Male Gourami, a week later add the two cory cats, and then a week later add the 6 tetra's. The only other thing i would add is maybe some sort of really small algae eater, like a big apple snail or something. (i don't think you'd have room for even a small pleco)

Cories are schooling fish. Try 3-4, they will be alot happier and healthier. They will be lonely as a pair

I suggest getting five or six pygmy corydoras because they are the smallest cories and they do well together in a school. Otherwise your stocking levels look fine.

I love my pygmy cory.. she is a bit lonely since I follishly added bacteria and cause an ammonia spike that killed her friendsbut no one has them in for at leat 30 miles

my dwarf cories kinda stick together but they dont school. ill see 4 of them in a corner and the nex sec the split up. i have 4 of them.

but they are a good choice and really active

Try 3-4, they will be alot happier and healthier. They will be lonely as a pair

I have to disagree... i have two panda cory's adn they are very happy and active... always playing in the bubble curtain, and they stick together like twins... I had 4 to start with but lost two when i had first started my tank 3 months ago.. these two seem just as happy and active as when i had 4

Thank you all so much for your help. Your input was perfect. Sis is excited, and I expect she will soon be a member and poster on this forum (now she can be your little headache, instead of mine! :mrgreen: ).

Thanks again so much,
David

Back
Top Bottom