16 Full Days Cycling - No NO2, is that normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CoolHand

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I started my fishless 30 Gallon cycle on August 22 (night) without seeding material and I still have yet to see Nitrites. I have noticed my Ammonia has dropped to 3.0 (roughly) from 4.0 over the past 4 days. Does this seem typical?

The temperature in the tank has been about 82F avg.

Thanks

CH...

It can take that long .... once the ammonia starts dropping the nitrites will come up, so a bit more patience! :) <BTW - you should start dosing the ammonia to keep it a 4 when it drops ... that would speed things up a bit.>

Yeah...my tank took 5-6 weeks to cycle completely. Great thing though about cycling with ammonia and at a high level like 4ppm...once it is cycled you will have such a large bacteria colony you can get a lot more fish all at once. That's great if you choose fish that do better in schools. But I agree...patience...I can take a while for your tank to cycle.

Mines been going since Aug 10, and I'm still not there. :(. Good news is that there is lots of chemical activity and it appears to ne getting close now. Hopefully can add fish next week

That's good. Seems that once ammonia starts changing over to nitrites it slows down more...but once those nitrates start showing it's off to the races and it really takes off.

Awesome! I'll keep the Ammonia. I have lots of patience I was just concerned a bit as my 5 gallon (much less water) progressed much faster with Nitrites showing up after 7 days.

Thanks everyone!

Cheers,

CH...

Back
Top Bottom