Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-18-2015, 04:27 PM   #1

1st tank asking for help with 30gal fresh water

Hello everyone,

Been wanting to start an aquarium for a long time, and here I am. Asking for any help I can get, want to place it where a TV used to go. Looks like a 30gal fits. Don't even know where to start, I live in a small town. Heading off to read all I can, but all tips are greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WallUnit-1-1.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	272473  

Old 05-18-2015, 05:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

1st tank asking for help with 30gal fresh water

I wouldn't ever put a tank on a stand that's not made to support the weight. It's roughly 8 1/2 pounds of weight per gallon, times 30, welp that's a lot of weight in one spot not adding in to the substrate, decor, and plants.
This doesn't mean no aquarium though, just gives you a bit more time to research an these right here would be a good read *having tech problems, give me one sec*
[URL="http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/23/1/Tips-and-tricks-for-your-fastest-fishless-cycle/Page1.html"]Tips and tricks for your fastest fishless cycle!

[URL="http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/125/1/The-almost-Complete-Guide-and-FAQ-to-Fishless-Cycling/Page1.html"]The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

[URL="http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/124/2/-I-just-learned-about-cycling-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html"]I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

[URL="http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/118/1/Important-Information-for-those-new-to-the-Aquarium-Hobby-/Page1.html"]Important Information for those new to the Aquarium Hobby

[URL="http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/34/1/Stocking-Guidelines-for-Newbies-/Page1.html"]Stocking Guidelines for Newbies

[URL="http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/131/1/Guide-to-Starting-a-Freshwater-Aquarium/Page1.html"]Guide to Starting a Fresh Water Aquarium

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry, it's messing up my links

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:42 PM   #4

Thanks, I'll go back and figure out how to read those links after this. The wall unit will hold the weight no problem, was built for those 35" CRT TV's, that weighed 225# plus. It's solid wood, no particle board or cardboard anywhere. Even the backs are high quality thin plywood, not paper. Now I'll go read, thanks for the links.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killowatt View Post
Thanks, I'll go back and figure out how to read those links after this. The wall unit will hold the weight no problem, was built for those 35" CRT TV's, that weighed 225# plus. It's solid wood, no particle board or cardboard anywhere. Even the backs are high quality thin plywood, not paper. Now I'll go read, thanks for the links.
I still would not do it. 30 gallons of water is a huge mess on the floor. Also any twisting and the tank will crack. Better safe than sorry. Unless you are 100% sure it will hold and its level front to back and side to side.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Or u could just prop the shelves through to the base and reinforce the base
Old 05-29-2015, 11:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

if you want you could do a walstad tank. Its a lot of learning, but once you get everything set up, it has minimal maintenance (i.e. no vacuuming, mostly top offs, small water changes once every few weeks. A lot of people have gotten the tanks so balanced that they only do 10% water changes every 6 months!) I am doing this method also and have two tanks that I will be starting up very soon! I have read months and months about it and keep learning new things every day. Not that you couldn't learn sooner as I have school, so i couldn't dedicate a lot of time to learning about it all at once. Walstad tanks are dirted and planted (obviously). it self maintains as the plants absorb the nutrients from fish waste and uneaten food so there is no need to vacuum the bottom at all. its also low tech so it wont be super expensive (no CO2 system although you can have one but there is no need unless you want rapid rapid plant growth). That way you can focus all the money on nice plants/fish!! Just something to think about. Good Luck!

Tags
ate, fresh, fresh water, skin, tan, tank, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com