1st tank asking for help with 30gal fresh water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Killowatt

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone,

Been wanting to start an aquarium for a long time, and here I am. Asking for any help I can get, want to place it where a TV used to go. Looks like a 30gal fits. Don't even know where to start, I live in a small town. Heading off to read all I can, but all tips are greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• WallUnit-1-1.JPG
    WallUnit-1-1.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 71
Thanks, I'll go back and figure out how to read those links after this. The wall unit will hold the weight no problem, was built for those 35" CRT TV's, that weighed 225# plus. It's solid wood, no particle board or cardboard anywhere. Even the backs are high quality thin plywood, not paper. Now I'll go read, thanks for the links.

Thanks, I'll go back and figure out how to read those links after this. The wall unit will hold the weight no problem, was built for those 35" CRT TV's, that weighed 225# plus. It's solid wood, no particle board or cardboard anywhere. Even the backs are high quality thin plywood, not paper. Now I'll go read, thanks for the links.

I still would not do it. 30 gallons of water is a huge mess on the floor. Also any twisting and the tank will crack. Better safe than sorry. Unless you are 100% sure it will hold and its level front to back and side to side.

if you want you could do a walstad tank. Its a lot of learning, but once you get everything set up, it has minimal maintenance (i.e. no vacuuming, mostly top offs, small water changes once every few weeks. A lot of people have gotten the tanks so balanced that they only do 10% water changes every 6 months!) I am doing this method also and have two tanks that I will be starting up very soon! I have read months and months about it and keep learning new things every day. Not that you couldn't learn sooner as I have school, so i couldn't dedicate a lot of time to learning about it all at once. Walstad tanks are dirted and planted (obviously). it self maintains as the plants absorb the nutrients from fish waste and uneaten food so there is no need to vacuum the bottom at all. its also low tech so it wont be super expensive (no CO2 system although you can have one but there is no need unless you want rapid rapid plant growth). That way you can focus all the money on nice plants/fish!! Just something to think about. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom