1st time driftwood user

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the only thing I have read is the ph can drop with driftwood. I didn't see this much at all with my tank though....

pugmom said:
the only thing I have read is the ph can drop with driftwood. I didn't see this much at all with my tank though....

If you get all the tannin out you wont have a Ph issue. That's the only thing.

Okay cool, was just wondering :) my pH is always near 7.8 tho so i guess a drop in pH wouldn't be horrible, I guess it'll just be one more thing to watch out for :) thanks!

Well I did my first water change. Did about 70% and my water cleared up pretty good, looks like it may be starting to tint again tho so I guess I'll keep up with WC until it stops :)

christine2012 said:
Good luck! I hope it doesn't leech too much!

So far its not too bad, initially it got pretty yellow/cloudy, but I did a 70% WC and so far its looking good, might have to do a small WC again but overall not bad :)

I have about a foot and half long piece of malaysian. I soak it for a day and it barely tinted the water so I just threw it in. The water has had a yellow tint ever since! So far I just stick to my weekly 40% water change but it gets right back up after a couple days. I know seachem makes a product that will soak it up but I've been waiting so far cause I dont want to deal with the trouble of putting it in my canister.

Iodizedfate said:
I have about a foot and half long piece of malaysian. I soak it for a day and it barely tinted the water so I just threw it in. The water has had a yellow tint ever since! So far I just stick to my weekly 40% water change but it gets right back up after a couple days. I know seachem makes a product that will soak it up but I've been waiting so far cause I dont want to deal with the trouble of putting it in my canister.

Yeah my tank only got yellowish once, now it just keeps getting cloudy so I do a huge water change every few days :/ hopefully it'll subside soon, don't wanna have to do water changes bc you can't see into the tank! Lol

I'm currently fighting the driftwood battle. I have a couple small pieces I was able to boil and it went great for them, they are happily in my tank. I have a few larger pieces though and some strange shaped ones that I can barely get in a 5gal bucket to soak let alone a pot. Total pain and I'm really wondering if a couple are going ot be able to make it in since I can't get the whole piece under water.

Would kill for a dishwasher at this point. lol.

Glad you are having a decent time with yours!

tamtam said:
I'm currently fighting the driftwood battle. I have a couple small pieces I was able to boil and it went great for them, they are happily in my tank. I have a few larger pieces though and some strange shaped ones that I can barely get in a 5gal bucket to soak let alone a pot. Total pain and I'm really wondering if a couple are going ot be able to make it in since I can't get the whole piece under water.

Would kill for a dishwasher at this point. lol.

Glad you are having a decent time with yours!

Haha yeah my 2 pieces won't fit in pots to boil :/ every 2 days it seems my water gets really cloudy so I just do a pwc and that temporarily fixes it.

Back
Top Bottom