2.5 gallon not cycling..?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ezzie

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys, a lot of stuff has changed in regards to my tank, I gave all of them away except for my one little 2.5 gallon tank.
I am focusing all my money, time and effort into one tank instead of 3-4 :)

I am struggling to cycle this tank though!!

It has been totally set up & running since the 12th April.

I'm doing a fishless cycle, using the ammonia leeching from my ADA soil for the cycle.

It has had high ammonia (4.0+ppm) since day 2, and I have been doing 50% water changes every other day to try to lower it since excessive ammonia will stall the cycle. The ammonia has been coming down slowly.

I have had no indication of nitrIte and very very little nitrAte.

My ph is really low, it was sitting at 6.4. This is probably due to the hunk of driftwood.

There is no heater in the tank, should I be adding one?

I have a hob filter that I modified with some sponge and ceramic noodles added into the back.

Any idea why it's been close to a month and there is no cycle!!
I am planning on borrowing some filter media from my friend or even from work.

Help!!
All these tests are from today, 3 weeks into cycle.

Ammonia:
ATTACH]

Nitrite and nitrate:
ATTACH]

Whole tank shot :)
ATTACH]

Photo of the hob filter:
ATTACH]

Your pH is too low. At around 6.4 the activity of the bacteria slows down and stops completely at 6.0.

Any idea what I can add to raise it?

I should have gone with a smaller driftwood :(

A small amount of crushed coral in the bottom of the filter would probably work. Maybe 1/4 cup.

I'll grab some from work, however it is just coral chunks, not crushed.

Does it have to be inside the filter or can it be in a bag on the side of the tank?

I'll grab some from work, however it is just coral chunks, not crushed.

Does it have to be inside the filter or can it be in a bag on the side of the tank?

Either works but it's less hideous when it's in your filter. You will have to keep it in there for a while most likely. Either that or if it's coral chunks that are large enough you could incorporate them into your aquascape. Also, BB will grow on it if you're worried about losing biological filter media space. It looks like you have a ton in your filter for such a small tank as it is anyways.

I'll try to get some smaller chunks and I'll replace a sponge chunk with it. :)

I wanted to optimise the filter as much as possible haha, it was one of those ****** hob's with the carbon carriage. :p

Added some crushed coral, how long until I see a change in ph? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399637449.976447.jpg

Not sure. I've never had to buffer with crushed coral. I would expect to see some difference by tomorrow though.

Also added a small heater, it was running off cold water before so hopefully that will help :)

Definitely the cold water and low ph stalling the cycle. Ammonia would probably have to be more than 8-10ppm before those levels would stall the cycle. Keep the ph above 7 and the temperature above 76 (warmer water may decrease cycle time). To get ph up fast you may add 1/8 tsp of baking soda to dissolve in a small bit of the aquarium water the. Add it to the aquarium a bit at a time while checking ph a few minutes after each add. This will bring the ph up rather quickly.

Tested the ph again today and it's slightly higher, sitting at about 6.4.

I only have a 10w heater that's present to 26 degrees Celsius (78 in Fahrenheit) the lights still on so its still heating, I'll buy a digital thermometer today from work to check how the temp is going :D

I didn't want a massive chunky heater in there taking up space so this is what it looks like with the heater inside:

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399683692.587438.jpg

We have some residents in the tank!
Pond snails, ugh. Suppose I'll leave them there for now :) they can help me make ammonia ;)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399846107.611615.jpg

My ph is going down slowly :)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399846133.064486.jpg
Other tests for today, still no nitrites however my ammonia seems to be lowering :S

Back
Top Bottom