2 female betta, 1 gallon vase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah we've all made mistakes. My introduction to fish keeping was a 2.5 unfiltered unheated tank with a fancy goldfish. I did my research after it had been in the tank for a week and promptly sold it. So yeah we all make mistakes, but after you get past them, you try to help other people to avoid them. I have gave all my suggestions but you can't fulfill any of them. So there isn't a whole lot I can do as of now besides tell you to take care of them as much as you can. Sorry.

Most of us, when we realized our mistakes, fixed them to the best of our abilities.
My first and biggest mistake was putting 2 common goldfish in a 1 gallon tank. When I realized that it wasn't enough space and how often their water needed cleaned, I moved them to the pond my parents had outside. But you aren't trying to fix your mistake, and that's why we are getting upset.
I've heard many young kids say "my parents won't let me rehome them" but they just didn't care to rehome them, they cared more about having the fish to look at than to give it a good life. If their parents really didn't let them, then they figured out a way to explain to their parents they needed moved into something bigger if they cared about their pets well being.

We are trying to get you to do the grown up thing and figure something out rather than torchering them in such tiny spaces (imagine yourself being locked in a bathroom for 6 months).

I am done trying to give you advice since you just want to argue against following it rather than doing the right thing

Most of us, when we realized our mistakes, fixed them to the best of our abilities.
My first and biggest mistake was putting 2 common goldfish in a 1 gallon tank. When I realized that it wasn't enough space and how often their water needed cleaned, I moved them to the pond my parents had outside. But you aren't trying to fix your mistake, and that's why we are getting upset.
I've heard many young kids say "my parents won't let me rehome them" but they just didn't care to rehome them, they cared more about having the fish to look at than to give it a good life. If their parents really didn't let them, then they figured out a way to explain to their parents they needed moved into something bigger if they cared about their pets well being.

We are trying to get you to do the grown up thing and figure something out rather than torchering them in such tiny spaces (imagine yourself being locked in a bathroom for 6 months).

I am done trying to give you advice since you just want to argue against following it rather than doing the right thing

I told them I can't get fish if I can't fit their needs and my parents said "They look happy in those tanks, so their fine." I cannot convince them. I realize my fish need help and I just won't buy any more fish until I get the right tank from now on. I can see why your all mad, I'm just as mad at myself as any of you are if not more because I can't do anything to save the fish. I'm honestly sorry.

I told them I can't get fish if I can't fit their needs and my parents said "They look happy in those tanks, so their fine." I cannot convince them. I realize my fish need help and I just won't buy any more fish until I get the right tank from now on. I can see why your all mad, I'm just as mad at myself as any of you are if not more because I can't do anything to save the fish. I'm honestly sorry.

A single betta CAN do fine in a 1 gallon tank. Provided that the water is maintained in that tank. As for longevity of a betta, provided perfect lab conditions and exercised daily I have read of bettas living up to 10 years old. If you have no choice but to keep a betta in a 1g tank which apparently is the case, do a 50% change of water at a minimum of once a week, preferably twice a week. Feed it regularly but don't overfeed. Also, you need to suck out the uneaten food with a turkey baster. Furthermore, the tank needs to be both heated and filtered regardless of what anyone else told you.

Putting two betta females together will almost undoubtedly get one killed. When there are a group of females together it allows some of the aggression to be spread out between the non dominant females. Putting a betta or platie with cichlids will just get them killed.

A 95% stocked 65 gallon tank could fit a large number of fish safely. Small fish like platies and bettas add almost nothing to the bio load of a tank. Any fish in a tank that is too small for them will be aggressive simply because there isnt enough room.

Further advice for residing on this forum:

Saying "I hope my fish gets eaten" or "I hope it dies" will SERIOUSLY tick people off.

Continuing to acquire fish when its already established that you don't have the resources to take care of them will also tick people off.

Don't use your age as an excuse, instead use this as a chance to show your parents that you are mature enough now to handle the responsibility of doing outside jobs. Mowing a few people's lawns or doing whatever grunt labor is required while maintaining your normal lifestyle will reinforce this. Sit your mom or dad down and talk to them like equals. I don't believe for a second that they will shut it down if you explain to them in an adult manner how things are.

Pointing out other people's mistakes isn't a good response. The vast majority of people have made their mistakes, learned from them, and moved on to not doing the same thing. On the other hand you continue making the same mistakes. You have at your access an amazing resource in this community full of knowledgeable people willing to help, ask us before you buy more fish.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question. You KNEW that the platy needs a MUCH bigger space than 1 gallon. So instead you went and used that money to buy MORE fish for ANOTHER unsuitable environment?

The best advice I can give you in this situation is to dig up a lot of research on *why* the fish need better homes, and to respectfully present your parents with this information, in your own words, and show them the sources for your information. Show them that you want to take full responsibility for these animals, and that you care about whether or not they thrive in your care. And ask around about cutting lawns, or some other odd jobs you could do around your neighborhood. Maybe offer to do some water changes or other maintenance for people in your neighborhoods who have aquariums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom