2 fish dead at same time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I forgot to say that it helps to put white paper under the vials and the color card next to it in your photo.

And yeah, the digital monitors are soooo expensive!

Google "freshwater photometer". There are devices for single parameter testing and a $400 unit that tests everything but you still have to buy the reagents and do the drops/mixing. Basically, these do the same as reading the test with your eyes but much more accurately.
You could get a digital probe meter but that's even more $.

The question is, how much accuracy do you NEED? I'm OK with looking at an orange vial and knowing it has some nitrate but not too much (or it would be red) and doing a regularly scheduled water change. My "master" kit was $19 and was only lacking the hardness tests (which aren't terribly expensive either).

Wow, that's a bit. A hundred or two I'd be tempted for a future Xmas present since the nitrate colour chart I find difficult to read but that is a bit too much. I've got a ph unit which is great but also doesn't last forever. Thanks for the info. :)

If you do the same tests on distilled or bottled water, you will see what the colours are supposed to look like.

When was the last time you gravel vaccumed and cleaned filter pads?

You may have stirred debris up from deep down and caused a mini cycle. This tests don't look 0 to me.

Did it at the weekend just gone. Cleaned filters hoovered bottom out and did a water change. I have got a lot of gunk under the gravel but can't Hoover it all out. I hate the gravel that's in there and want to change it to a fine gravel like I have in my goldfish tank as I have no dirt or gunk under that.

Back
Top Bottom