2 quick questions from a beginniner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Huval

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Aqauholics Anonymous,

This site is amazing.

I have this Fluval Chi 5 gallon and I'm quickly out-growing it...that's obvious and thus not the question at hand. My 2 questions are:

1) What amount/color temp of light is need for this amount of plants? At this point should I look into more advanced plant maintenance options?

2) When I get my new tank, a rimless 30g long from class cages, what is the best possible filter? I've heard so many opinions I was just curious if there was some general consensus on the best filter?

The plants in there are:
Argentine swords
White ribbons
Gold ribbons
Peacock ferns
Wisterias
8 bamboo shoots

I have about 4 of each, excluding the bamboo.

I don't typically keep goldfish in there, but I utilized their toughness and substantial ammonia output to speed up the bio filter development.

And let me say it worked beautifully. I've tested the water 3 times with my API test kit over the past week and everytime the results have been:

Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: less than 5
(of course I had a decent amount of seed water from my lfs.)

Thank you all very much!

Attachments

• image-2436386527.jpg
    image-2436386527.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 73
  • image-3438257772.jpg
    image-3438257772.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 61
The lighting will really depend on what type of plants you are interested in. Those pictured are non-aquatic and will die if left permanently submerged.

Filters are really based on the application they're used for. For a 30 cube (love that tank btw) for a planted tank I'd go with a canister. A HOB tends to take a bit away from a rimless tank.

Just my opinion.

Welcome to AA! :)

HN1 said:
The lighting will really depend on what type of plants you are interested in. Those pictured are non-aquatic and will die if left permanently submerged.

Filters are really based on the application they're used for. For a 30 cube (love that tank btw) for a planted tank I'd go with a canister. A HOB tends to take a bit away from a rimless tank.

Just my opinion.

Welcome to AA! :)

I see...they came from my lfs under the label "live aquatic plants"...does that just mean they can be planted in water but not fully submerged?

Thanks for the advice on the filter, much appreciated.

Thanks! :)

Me and the only guy at the local petco who knows what he is doing were laughing about the "aquatic plants" they sell. I thought I was doing something terribly wrong when all my plants kept rotting and dying. After a visit to an aquatic plant site -- plantgeek? I think?-- I discovered that none of them were truly aquatic at all. Oh well.

Hi and welcome!
I just have to add that the old school method of adding a few 'hardy' fish like goldfish is very out dated and cruel. We have other methods of cycling that do not harm the fish. Fish in doing water changes to keep toxins down and fishless using bottled ammonia to cycle. I will add the links.
FISH IN
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

FISHLESS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

Also seeded or matured water is another myth left over from old school fish keeping. The amount of nitrifying bacteria that live in the water is minuscule. Most lives in the filter, then the substrate and other surfaces of the tank. A better way to seed a tank/filter is through seeded filter media.
Flushing large amounts of water through a cycling tank will not hinder the cycle and will prevent the fish from being exposed to the high toxin levels.

VioletEmber said:
Me and the only guy at the local petco who knows what he is doing were laughing about the "aquatic plants" they sell. I thought I was doing something terribly wrong when all my plants kept rotting and dying. After a visit to an aquatic plant site -- plantgeek? I think?-- I discovered that none of them were truly aquatic at all. Oh well.

I took a similar path to finding the truth about Petco's [Mod edit] plants. Or more specifically, [Mod edit] labeling.

I was all over those planted tank sites, they all said what you're saying here. Oh well is right...I should've researched prior. Thanks for the reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mumma.of.two said:
Hi and welcome!
I just have to add that the old school method of adding a few 'hardy' fish like goldfish is very out dated and cruel. We have other methods of cycling that do not harm the fish. Fish in doing water changes to keep toxins down and fishless using bottled ammonia to cycle. I will add the links.
FISH IN
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/124/2/-I-just-learned-about-cycling-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

FISHLESS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/the-almost-complete-guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

Also seeded or matured water is another myth left over from old school fish keeping. The amount of nitrifying bacteria that live in the water is minuscule. Most lives in the filter, then the substrate and other surfaces of the tank. A better way to seed a tank/filter is through seeded filter media.
Flushing large amounts of water through a cycling tank will not hinder the cycle and will prevent the fish from being exposed to the high toxin levels.

I've previously read all three of those great guides and learned a lot from them.
I went with the goldfish because after talking with my lfs guy, he strongly recommended a fish in cycle and...at the time he was really convincing...not to mention, being that I'm a beginner the avalanche of information(half of which is disputed by at least one person on every thread) I've taken in over the past 2 weeks is nothing short of overwhelming and when someone comes at you with 20+ years of fresh/salt water experience, owns the biggest lfs in Louisiana, and provides a 3 minute lecture about how he's used every cycling method and considers fish in the best, at that moment it seemed like the best choice.

However I do completely agree with you and next time I cycle I plan to use a more ethical procedure.

On the bright side the fish do seem very happy. Although I'm still trying to figure out how you people can interpret all these emotions from the fish...

Clearly I'm still learning, but I'm an avid reader of AA and thank you all for the generous resources offered here.

I'm sorry I realized I've come across a bit harsh/rude. I fish in cycle all my tanks :) all 7! I just like pointing out that there are humane ways of doing it and just because someone has been in the hobby for decades does not mean they have the right information. Some get stuck in the old ways if thinking.
Again welcome!

Huval said:
On the bright side the fish do seem very happy. Although I'm still trying to figure out how you people can interpret all these emotions from the fish...

You can look for signs of stress, clamped fins, hiding a lot, lethargy. Also diseases and death will result from a fish being stressed, poor water conditons, and overcrowding. You may see tattered or torn fins, missing scales, and changes in or decreased in fish activity levels.

Fish in cycling can be just as humane as fishless if the proper level of care and commitment are there. Not many people can really devote to doing it correctly so it is not often advised. The single easiest & fastest way to cycle a tank IMO is to use seeded media from a healthy established system and adding a minor bioload to the tank. Extra testing and water changes are needed, but with good prep and practices it makes all the sense in the world. We have fishless cycled exactly once and have over 80. ;)

Mumma.of.two said:
I'm sorry I realized I've come across a bit harsh/rude. I fish in cycle all my tanks :) all 7! I just like pointing out that there are humane ways of doing it and just because someone has been in the hobby for decades does not mean they have the right information. Some get stuck in the old ways if thinking.
Again welcome!

No I totally understand. I'm glad you and everyone on AA has made me so aware. I don't take offense, I just am trying to learn and do at the same time so it's a lot to juggle. Besides, people get offended too easily on these(and all) forums. I know we're all just trying to help each other out.

And regarding getting stuck in the old ways of thinking? I live in southern Louisiana...I am surrounded with stubborn, stuck-in-their-ways, old men...i mean we have tea parties and glenn beck/bill o'reilly rallies. This isn't exactly an innovation powerhouse...

Thank you again,

ashleynicole said:
You can look for signs of stress, clamped fins, hiding a lot, lethargy. Also diseases and death will result from a fish being stressed, poor water conditons, and overcrowding. You may see tattered or torn fins, missing scales, and changes in or decreased in fish activity levels.

That helps a lot, and I'm sure over time I will learn to read them better. Thanks a bunch!

HN1 said:
The single easiest & fastest way to cycle a tank IMO is to use seeded media from a healthy established system and adding a minor bioload to the tank. Extra testing and water changes are needed, but with good prep and practices it makes all the sense in the world. We have fishless cycled exactly once and have over 80. ;)
I agree, once you have one well established tank, its easy to get more tanks started as long as you are careful.

I am just curious here. Once your tank is cycled, what are your plans for these goldfish? Will your lfs owner take them back? You should take their welfare into consideration & have plans to rehome them in the future. I wish you luck with your new tank & please keep us posted!

Reactions: HN1
jlk said:
I am just curious here. Once your tank is cycled, what are your plans for these goldfish? Will your lfs owner take them back? You should take their welfare into consideration & have plans to rehome them in the future. I wish you luck with your new tank & please keep us posted!

When the cycle is complete, they're going back to the lfs.

So far levels have been good, been doing pwc's every day. Fish seem happy.

HN1 said:
Fish in cycling can be just as humane as fishless if the proper level of care and commitment are there. Not many people can really devote to doing it correctly so it is not often advised. The single easiest & fastest way to cycle a tank IMO is to use seeded media from a healthy established system and adding a minor bioload to the tank. Extra testing and water changes are needed, but with good prep and practices it makes all the sense in the world. We have fishless cycled exactly once and have over 80. ;)

What source would you recommend for a bioload?

Also, when you say use seeded media, should I put the seeded media in the new filter with a second piece of new media and the bacteria on the seed media will "transfer" to the new media?

Good news!

A little background on me, I work in the film industry in New Orleans, in the camera dept, and when I was working on 21 Jump Street I met an extra that I became good friends with and get lunch with from time to time.

Turns out, he was the Chief Aquarist for the University of North Carolina's Center for Marine Science Research. He found out about my new hobby and offered as much assistance as I need!

Back
Top Bottom