20 Gallon Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nexis90

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! New to this. Got a 20 Gallon Long fish tank. i've had it operating about 2 - 3 months now. I have 6 tetra. 1 Cory Catfish and a sucker fish that only comes out at night. I have a 200 Gallon/Hr filter and 50 Watt heater temp at 75/76 ish. Sand and gravel mixed together bedding. Should I get more fish? They all seem very happy so far :) and doing very well. I do regular water changes and add Prime Ammonia remover and StressZyme bacteria about twice a month.

nexis90 said:
Hello! New to this. Got a 20 Gallon Long fish tank. i've had it operating about 2 - 3 months now. I have 6 tetra. 1 Cory Catfish and a sucker fish that only comes out at night. I have a 200 Gallon/Hr filter and 50 Watt heater temp at 75/76 ish. Sand and gravel mixed together bedding. Should I get more fish? They all seem very happy so far :) and doing very well. I do regular water changes and add Prime Ammonia remover and StressZyme bacteria about twice a month.

I would definitely up your cories to at least a school of five.
What kind of sucker fish do you have?

I have one that is yellowish and only comes out at night kinda looks like the one on your thumbnail pic. I will get more catfish then. Any reason why so many?

Welcome! In a twenty gallon you could have like 2-3 mollies, some platies and others starter fish. It's also good to know the names of your fish so we could help you better. So have fun on our site and always be a good aquarist!

nexis90 said:
I have one that is yellowish and only comes out at night kinda looks like the one on your thumbnail pic. I will get more catfish then. Any reason why so many?

Cories feel more comfortable in schools and will become more active in bigger groups. If not they tend to hide a lot and become stressed. And make sure to keep the school the same kind of cory or they may not school. Do you know what cory you have?

nexis90 said:
Its tannish color with black dots on it and black fin, I can take pics later.

I would like a pic just to make sure that it is a Cory, that way you don't over stock if it was another catfish. ;) But otherwise you could go with most anything. Like me I am getting black skirt tetras, pearl danios, and cories in my 20gal long. You could go with livebearers like mollies, swordtails, platies, and guppies like mentioned above.

Guppy Breeder said:
It is 1 fish inch per gallon so if each fish 2 inches you should only put at most 10

I'm sorry but please don't advise people to stock by the inch/gallon rule
It is generally regarded as a load of junk on AA
No offense intended

Back
Top Bottom