20 gallon long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dbigfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 20 gallon Long with two aqueon quite flow 10 HOB filters. My plans were to use filter media from an established tank and begin stocking the tank over the next few weeks. I am flexible about the GBR because I have never owned one before. I found them to be a very attractive fish but I am open to other centerpiece suggestions. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• image-1083195934.jpg
    image-1083195934.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 73
Not a bad list but I would have 6 dano and add some more shrimp and cleen up fish like octos or cori but what is the feture fish that you whant in the end coz that will effect initial stock say you whanted to have discus you wouldent have the dano and no srimp for an example

Oh and you want at least 3 rams if not 5 for them to be happy

Well I was thinking the GBR would be the centerpiece fish I had considered a dwarf or honey gourami but I read that they did not like current and with two filters running I imagine there will be a good bit of flow

With the GBRs its best to have a UV, because GBRs are prone to parasites, and with the clown pleco, be sure to have driftwood because unlike other plecos, the clowns diet is mainly wood not algae

Thanks I do have some driftwood ready to go :) I am unfamiliar with a UV sterilizer you mentioned though

A UV sterilizer is a thing that modifies the genetic makeup of parasites and dramatically shortens their lifespan, its great to have in any tank... but it is a little expensive

Actually, two aqueon 10s should not have that much flow. I actually have an aqueon 50 i(250gph) addition to two other 100gph filters on my 20g. I do have foam over the intake on the aqueon to keep fish out of it.

Its my qt tank. Rarely ever has anything more than a single fancy goldfish in it and I use it for growing basic plants most of the time.

I have a 20g with 9 rummynose, 6 neons, 1 honey gourami, 1 GBR, and some snails and ghost shrimp. You could easy do a pair of rams though.

I respectfully disagree on needing a sterilizer too. While useful it is largely unnecessary -- just make sure your tank is at least a few months mature and all of your levels are stable. A hardier option to GBR is the Bolivian ram, which gets just a tad bit bigger and are noticeably less colorful. I'd honestly just go with the GBR though, just make sure you're getting healthy and preferably local-bred stock. Good luck! :)

Edit: Just wanted to note that your current is fine. If anything you'll want to upgrade your filters at some point, possibly looking at something like dual Aquaclear 20s or an Aquaclear 50.

Don't the rams get very territorial should they happen to pair off I wouldn't want to potentially endanger my small schooling fish

They get territorial when they're breeding, particularly toward bottom dwellers that go near their eggs. It's generally nothing excessive though, maybe just some chasing away and such.

I was thinking of changing the glo fish to pseudomugil rainbows but would like some more information of them

Back
Top Bottom