20 Gallon Long, Stock Approval?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildderrick

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've got a 20L tank at the office that I recently just re-laid out. Added some play sand and drift wood to try to make it more appealing. Rather than winging it and failing, like I have been doing for a couple years, I'm trying to do a bit more research this time around.

I'm still waiting on my waterhardness test kit to arrive, but got the API master test kit. After a few days of cycling (using established gravel substrate and bio wheel), ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are all sitting at 0. pH is at 8.0. I checked and the tap water at the office is 8.3, so the drift wood is having a small effect... Filter is Marineland Penguin 150B

My original stock plan was:
1 Betta Imbellis
10 Neon Tetras
6 Corydoras
1 Bristlenose Pleco
6 Ghost shrimp.

Right now, I'm verifying the tank is all happy with just the tetras and ghost shrimp, but wanted to get some feedback on whether or not this stock plan sounds reasonable. Aqadvisor appears to think it's a good idea... though I may need to up my filtration capacity.

I wanted to do German Blue Rams instead of a betta, but am not sure I can monkey with my pH enough to make it something they'd thrive in...

Thoughts?

Updated stock option

Another stock option I like is:
8 Neon Tetras
8 Galaxy Rasboras <-- Very curious if anyone has experience with these
6 Bandit Corys
1 Betta Imbellis
1 Bristlenose pleco
and a handful of shrimp.

I have read that BN plecos can range in size from around 4-7" and even though some sites may list the minimum tank size as 20g long, most people seem to lean toward the 29g range as a minimum. I have also heard that they can be a bit aggressive towards corys, so you might want to reconsider the pleco.

My BN was very aggressive at food time. I would watch the cories with it

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I like the first stock a lot minus the BN pleco (they're better suited for 30+ gal). Only change I'd make is I'd swap the neons for cardinal tetras as they're slightly larger, hardier, and IMO just prettier. You could add some otos later down the line when your tank has matured. CPDs do best in nano fish tanks as they're very shy and often get outcompeted for food in normal community tanks.

Back
Top Bottom