20 Gallon Long stock Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coloradokid13

Aquarium Advice Regular
A month ago I got a 20 gallon Long tank and already have some fish in it
1 Dwarf Gourami
2 Dalmatian Mollies
2 Platinum Lyretail Mollies
3 Ottos Cats

Original I had 2 Gouramis but both were males and didn't get along and fought the other is back at the pet store and the one in the tank is a lot happier. All the mollies are Female.I am wondering what fish if I can add anymore would fit in with the ones I have.

Any advice would be good ,am new to the forum so it all helps. Thanks

Ya didn't do a full week only a couple days because parents divorced didn't want to might another week my impatience got the best of me

Wow! I've never tried AqAdvisor.... I plugged in my plans for fish and it suggested I was way understocked, but I'd have thought my plans were going to fill it. I'm too new at fish keeping to assess it, but it makes me slightly nervous.

Cycling usually takes at least a month. It took me 5 weeks I think. You can't cycle a tank in a few days unless you get a lot of seeded material or something. Have you been testing the ammonia, nitrite, etc.?

Wow! I've never tried AqAdvisor.... I plugged in my plans for fish and it suggested I was way understocked, but I'd have thought my plans were going to fill it. I'm too new at fish keeping to assess it, but it makes me slightly nervous.

I don't think there is such a thing as being understocked. Not having your tank maxed out isn't a bad thing.

smallfry53 said:
Cycling usually takes at least a month. It took me 5 weeks I think. You can't cycle a tank in a few days unless you get a lot of seeded material or something. Have you been testing the ammonia, nitrite, etc.?

+1
Letting a tank sit with the filter running will not cycle it. It needs an ammonia source either from bottled ammonia or fish.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...-to-Starting-a-Freshwater-Aquarium/Page1.html
Please read this.
As for AqAdviser it's a fun toy but that's about it. It doesn't take a lot of things into consideration.

smallfry53 said:
I don't think there is such a thing as being understocked. Not having your tank maxed out isn't a bad thing.

I should clarify... I am not nervous about being under stocked. I would rather that! It is AqAdvisor that makes me nervous. I have a 29 gallon and i filled in my dimensions, filtration, etc and what I planned to put in (6 panda cories, 8 blue-eyed rainbows, 10 ember tetras and a handful of cherry shrimp = about 24 gallons of fish, I would think). It told me that I was at about 50% stocked. It seems to me that it could lead people to over stock their tanks if they trust it too much.

Back
Top Bottom