20 gallon long stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmalek321

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I've got a 20 gallon long tank with an aqueon quietflow 30. I currently have 5 tiger barbs (did a fish in cycle) and my tank is finally cycled at 7 weeks. I'd like to add more tiger barbs, green ones this time so I was wondering how many more I could add. I've read that I could get away with having a total of 10 in my size tank but want to make sure that this wouldn't be too many knowing that they will get a little bigger and they like their swimming room. Also if adding 5 more will work, would adding another 5 all at once be too big of a change for my bioload, in other words should I add 3 now and then another 2 after a couple weeks?

Thanks

I'm thinking that should be fine. Personally I'd go with a 50-60 gallon filter if you're gonna max out the tank.

Thanks! If I upgraded to a bigger filter should I run both of them at the same time for a week or 2 to make sure I establish the new filter or could I get away with just putting the old cartridge from my 30 into the new filter? I don't want to mess up the cycle since it's finally established

I would run both for a couple weeks.
Look into the AquaClear HOBs as they have a flow control and you turn it down while running both.
They are also the most versatile and no need to replace cartridges ,ever....
When the barbs grow it might be a bit crowded ,but they don't always get real big.. I am not sure if they are fast or slow growers?
Maybe by then you'll have MTS and another tank or two....:whistle:

Would you suggest I get the 50 or the 70? Even though you mentioned the adjustable flow rate wouldn't the 70 still be unnecessarily large for a 20 gallon tank? Not sure if there's such a thing as overpowering a tank

As long as you adjust the flow you should be fine. I run 3 filters on my 55 1 canister and 2 hobs and a powerhead (just a small one)

If your going HOB 3x the filtration for the tank size (60g filtration) is the sweet spot IMO.

Would you suggest I get the 50 or the 70? Even though you mentioned the adjustable flow rate wouldn't the 70 still be unnecessarily large for a 20 gallon tank? Not sure if there's such a thing as overpowering a tank
I would get 2 @50 or a 30 and 50 for the 20g..
Reason besides flow is all the parts besides impellar are the same on the the Aquaclear 50 and down so replacement parts can be stocked and will work for both if an issue comes up.
I love my Aquaclears [all almost 40 of them !] ..:dance:

Back
Top Bottom