20 gallon makeover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laurelhed

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just re-homed my 6 goldfish to a friend's beautiful pond, and am left with an (almost) empty 20 gallon tank. It was seriously overstocked with 6 goldies and a common pleco, so even with daily or twice daily water changes, the ammonia & nitrite levels were always ridiculous. I need to know where to go from here! My pleco, Daizy, is currently in the hospital tank. She is about 3" right now, but I know she will have to be in a bigger tank or re-homed before long. Do I now do a 100% water change and see where my tank is at with all numbers/levels? It was a brand new tank set up hastily to accomodate the goldfish. I sort of tried to cycle, but that overstocked-? I'm not really sure if it cycled or not!
Daizy can stay where she is for a little bit. I just want to have a healthy tank before we get new, smaller, more appropriate fish! Thanks!

I would let the water sit for a while, everything running, you have enough ammonia in there to cycle the tank I think. Let the bacteria work and just check it every day or so...I cycled my tank with fish in...took me forever!!! learned that not doing water changes made it cycle faster, and actually cycled

Well, it depends how you would like to proceed from here- you can continue with a fish-in cycle (and daily tests & water changes) with appropriately stocked fish (or a single fancy goldfish) OR you can proceed with a fishless cycle while you consider your stocking options. Ill post the fw guide- it has links to both fish-in & fishless cycles. Great job on properly homing your goldies!!!! I am sure they will be VERY happy & will lead full, long lives!! Dont hesitate to ask questions! :)

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html

Was your goldfish tank properly cycled? Just let the ammonia cycle out, do a large WC 90% and check for nitrates. Don't start over then you just waste time. Give about a week and slowly add new fish :)

May have been confusing. Wait a week and add a little food to feed bacteria. Then do a large WC when ammonia and nitrite Is zero. :)

Was your goldfish tank properly cycled? Just let the ammonia cycle out, do a large WC 90% and check for nitrates. Don't start over then you just waste time. Give about a week and slowly add new fish :)

The Op's tank never properly cycled because there was such an overwhelming amount of ammonia present. Im sure theres bacteria but its just not up to speed yet to handle converting amm>nitrate fully. It shouldnt take long to get it there though!

when did you rehome your other fish? I am sure you tested your water since then... how is it doing? you still have your pleco in there right? so what else are you wanting to add in?

fyi, too many water changes/too big of water changes with slow your cycle down by A LOT. Happend to me, best advice I was given is to just let it do its thing...let it sit for two weeks and my levels were where they needed to be, did a 15% water change and all level were perfect. combine everyones opinions and decide for yourself. good luck

Cool! Thank you everybody for the great advice! My pleco is currently in the hospital tank being treated with maracyn & maracyn 2 (jlk's suggestion, and working well!). I plan to keep her there and continue cycling with no fish. I don't want to cause any more harm to any more beautifuls! The stocking is partly up to my daughter from there, as the tank is in her room, but Mom maintains veto power! Currently ph is 8.2, ammonia is 1.0ppm, nitrite is 5.0ppm, and nitrate is160ppm. How'm I doing?

Your cycle looks good so far! It should cycle pretty quickly- your amm is dropping, you have lots nitrites & tons nitrates. Im glad Daizy is doing better, too! :)

Thanks! One more round of antibiotics for Daizy, which is perfect timing. Glad to hear my tank is on track. I went through a patch of cloudy water about a month ago. I've read that is a normal part of cycling. Will it happen again? Again, thanks for all the advice.

i agree with jlk i just got thro cycling a 29 gallon aquarium and i never seen a thing that would be in the "norm" for cycling no algea blooms no cloudy water and my nitrite spike happend so fast that even testing every 24 hours i didnt see it just one day my trites wat at 3 the next it was zero and has stayed that way ever since

Back
Top Bottom