20 gallon stocking: African dwarf frog tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ulrichsd

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have a 60 g mbuna tank and have an unused 20g long. My daughter would like a frog so I was thinking of getting a few African dwarf frogs.

Can anyone recommend some tank mates? Was thinking maybe some kuhli loaches, a betta and/or a group of small schooling fish like neons or rasboras?

Thanks!

Rasboras and neons would be good with them. I don't know about loaches, I have no experience with them. I have my dwarf frogs in with my balloon mollies and a platy and some cories. That tank used to have Serpaes in it. The frogs do their own thing. Just make sure they have plants or caves to hide in. (Mine like plants, but there are other decorations for them should they choose them.)

Thanks! From what I've read it seems bettas and af dw frogs do pretty well together... So maybe those and then undecided between some small schooling fish or kuhli loaches. Decisions, decisions :)

Why not JUST African Dwarf Frogs? You are likely to see more activity from the frogs if they don't have any other tank mates. They are known to be quite shy and have poor vision and cannot compete with fish for food. They are generally very social with each other. They are full of antics at feeding time though a more timid frog may require some coaxing to come forth to eat. I'm sure your daughter will truly enjoy them.

That is certainly an option. I thought 20 g might be a big tank for just dwarf frogs, but it might be nice to have a low maintenance tank vs my overstocked Mbuna tank... Which takes about 30-40 minutes to clean the can filter and do a 50% wc weekly... Although I know that is nothing compared to the work some people on here do with multiple tanks!

Daughter is 6 and I think what she really wants is a frog she can hold but I know that even bigger frogs shouldn't be handled too frequently plus we have two younger daughters so I thought dwarf frogs to watch might be the next best thing.

And...

Maybe the girls need big plush frogs to hug while they watch the ADFs swim about? Think Kermit! Once I find a decent stand, I'm moving my ADFs from a 20 to a 40 gallon. I chose a breeder tank because they're a bit shorter. I don't think you'll have to spend much time keeping the frog tank clean. What kind of substrate are you using? I have small gravel but plan to use sand in the new set up.

Lol! I think they will enjoy the adfs. We've been cycling the tank right now, it has a play sand sand substrate.

I let them pick out some plants to make the wait a little more interesting. They picked out a Nino fern and anubia nana. I helped steer them away from the terrestrial plants :)

Here's a current picture ( they are very much into super Mario). I'm sure I'll add some more plants eventually since I can't have 'em in my African tank 20170703_215137.jpg

That's a good looking tank! Besides the plants, will you add any hiding places (e.g. caves, pots, tubes) for the ADFs? Or maybe you're going to do a Super Mario theme in your tank? I found a couple online including on YouTube and Pinterest. They look pretty darn cool.

I have an aquarium mushroom house (fits the theme) on order but hasn't come yet. Probably put a clay pot of two and some more plants as well.

Still cycling but went to a Petco and 2 Petsmarts and none have adfs. The last place I went the girl there said they don't last long. I said "do you mean they sell out fast or they die?". Apparently they throw them in with other fish and they don't get enough food :( So I'll be looking for other better place for stock apparently.

Oh no! I know I'm guilty of having a bit of a soapbox regarding ADFs being kept with fish that are overall faster and more confident eaters. The pet store manager would get an earful from me in hopes of saving the lives of the ADFs and encouraging education of pet store employees and the general public. Can you special order the number of frogs you want from a better pet store?

Well, I went to Pet Valu (formerly Jacks Pets) and they do not have African Dwarf Frogs either, so I'm 0/4. They do, however, have African Clawed Frogs, both the Albino and Grey varieties. I can see why the little Dwarf Frogs have some issues after reading this forum post and I can see why you push for species-only tanks.

Anyway, I'm starting to wonder if I should go with Clawed Frogs instead of Dwarf Frogs given their availability and sounds like they are a bit more interesting to watch... I know they get larger, but this site says you can have 3 in a 20 long. My tank is filtered and I'm used to weekly water changes, so I'm thinking 3 would be an ok number.

PS: CDGQY, thanks for all the info, its been a great help!

Oh! You're very welcome. It's been fun following your process, and I hope you'll continue to share. Thanks for posting the links. I don't know anything about African clawed frogs except that they cannot be in the same tank as African dwarf frogs. They do sound like a viable option for your tank. Eager to see what you do!

Tank is cycled, but we are on vacation next week so we'll wait till we get back and then go pick them up. Pictures to follow :)

I for one am glad you are going for a sp. tank. please research the requirements for a good adf tank. You can have a nice social group of ADFrogs. You can have guppies with them the frogs would like it. PS make sure there common guppies.

Picked up 3 African clawed frogs yesterday. They only had one little grey so I got him and two albinos. Still a little shy but eating bloodworms. My daughter picked out the yellow submarine and dragon :)

20170724_201925.jpg20170724_201902.jpg20170724_201654.jpg

Well... We are now down to two frogs. I believe that the bigger albino ate the smaller grey, he is looking bigger and the other is no where to be found. I did not think he'd be able to eat the little one but I guess I was wrong. It really is true, if it can fit in their mouth it will be eaten.

RIP "Baby Peach"

Oh no! How are your daughters handling it? Because they are African CLAWED frogs, they will eat guppies, too. They are voracious predators, apparently.

Back
Top Bottom