20 gallon stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrogFrenzy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have a 55 freshwater semi aggressive and a 20 gallon with 5 fish. Any ideas on what to do with my 20? I was hoping to convert to salt or make it a species only tank. Any suggestions will help.

That's good that opens up your options a bit. You could either do some breeding pairs or maybe oddball fish or solo fish like you said you want.

I think you could easily breed some rams or shell dweller cichlids which would be neat.

If you want oddballs you could do 1 male dwarf puffer and 3 female dwarfs in a 20 long. Just look up how to sex them.

If you want a single fish I think your best bet is a Convict cichlid super interactive, aggressive and personable a very neat fish.

That's good that opens up your options a bit. You could either do some breeding pairs or maybe oddball fish or solo fish like you said you want. I think you could easily breed some rams or shell dweller cichlids which would be neat. If you want oddballs you could do 1 male dwarf puffer and 3 female dwarfs in a 20 long. Just look up how to sex them. If you want a single fish I think your best bet is a Convict cichlid super interactive, aggressive and personable a very neat fish.
ok thanks! Would any of those fish work in a fully planted tank?

The rams would. The shell dwellers need rocks and caves. I think dwarf puffers eat plants and tear them up. A convict would uproot live plants and kill them. The convicts and dwarfs do best with fake plants and 1-2 caves.

The rams would. The shell dwellers need rocks and caves. I think dwarf puffers eat plants and tear them up. A convict would uproot live plants and kill them. The convicts and dwarfs do best with fake plants and 1-2 caves.
ok thanks!

I wouldn't do a 20G salt tank. the 46g I did was like the bare minimum really. I am personally just getting into the freshwater thing myself. So many choices. Just gotta spend several hours on google lol

A 20 gallon salt tank is fine, that's what I have. Just be prepared to keep up with evaporation and water changes but it really isn't to much work. A convict would do fine in a planted tank, they don't dig unless breeding and with one you wouldn't need to worry about that.

Back
Top Bottom