20 gallon tall stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tidiwbh

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys,

So I'm new to this forum but I've had multiple fish tanks in the past and have one at home. I'm currently in college living in an apartment and have a 20 gallon tall fish tank I was looking to set up.

I was thinking of having it stocked with:
2 German blue rams
Around 10 neon tetras
And some number of bottom feeders
Or would some sort of puffers be suitable for this tank?

Which would be the best bottom feeders?
Is this a good number of fish? Can there be more?
How should I cycle this and with what plants?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hey guys,

So I'm new to this forum but I've had multiple fish tanks in the past and have one at home. I'm currently in college living in an apartment and have a 20 gallon tall fish tank I was looking to set up.

I was thinking of having it stocked with:
2 German blue rams
Around 10 neon tetras
And some number of bottom feeders
Or would some sort of puffers be suitable for this tank?

Which would be the best bottom feeders?
Is this a good number of fish? Can there be more?
How should I cycle this and with what plants?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Puffers are generally species-only fish as they are typically quite aggressive. I'd do cories for the bottom (panda, julii, etc) and probably keep the number around 5-6. They'd be happier with 10 of course, but on a 20 tall I'd think that the footprint is too small for that many bottom feeders with 2 GBR (who could get a little territorial if they breed).

For cycling I'd recommend reading the articles stickied in this subforum on fish-in and fishless cycling and then decide on which to do. Just as a note though neither neons or GBR are recommended for fish-in cycles. Rams need mature tanks with stable water parameters. Plants can be added at any time during a cycle and many people like to use fast growing stem plants in the beginning but really you can do whatever you like and what your lighting will sustain. Good luck!

If you want lots of cories, i think pygmy, habrosus, or hastatus cories would be a better option.

Back
Top Bottom