Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-31-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

20 gallon tank

Hi y'all I currently have a 5 gallon tank that is over stocked I have 2 guppies, 2 black mollys, 2 emerald green Cory cats

I know that's too much I plan on donating my guppys and mollys soon. I do have a 20 gallon tank I plan to set up soon (waiting for my grandpa to build a stand for me. No one wants to lift an already filled 20 gallon tank)

My question is I would like to transport my 2 emerald green Cory cats to my 20 gallon and maybe add a dwarf gourami. What else should I add ?

Also I saw there's a good website that explains how to cycle a tank correctly before putting any fish in there that's what I'd like to see if my of you could help me with that.

As far as live plants go are they pretty easy to care for ? Would it be recommended if I added some once I set up my 20 gallon? Thank you!

Old 08-31-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMO I don't think that emerald cories would do good in there. Yes to the dwarf gourami, and you could add smaller cories in the tank and maybe 2 schools of smaller tetras or danios or nano fish. Plants: anubis, java ferns, and mosses are some to name. The cycling link: The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
just keep asking for more questions

Old 08-31-2011, 06:42 PM   #3
Look It Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittanykluss View Post
Hi y'all I currently have a 5 gallon tank that is over stocked I have 2 guppies, 2 black mollys, 2 emerald green Cory cats

I know that's too much I plan on donating my guppys and mollys soon. I do have a 20 gallon tank I plan to set up soon (waiting for my grandpa to build a stand for me. No one wants to lift an already filled 20 gallon tank)

My question is I would like to transport my 2 emerald green Cory cats to my 20 gallon and maybe add a dwarf gourami. What else should I add ?

Also I saw there's a good website that explains how to cycle a tank correctly before putting any fish in there that's what I'd like to see if my of you could help me with that.

As far as live plants go are they pretty easy to care for ? Would it be recommended if I added some once I set up my 20 gallon? Thank you!
Hi Brittney, Good for you for upgrading your tank!

If you do donate or give away your Mollys and Guppies (good call, as 5 gals is way too small for them, especially the Mollys), you could move the cory's into the 20 and then you actually have a good amount of room for some other fish. I'd wait on the Dwarf though; wait a few months until your tank establishes very well before trying one; they can be sensitive fish and are prone to disease.

In addition to the Corys you could do a school of some sort; rasboras or tetras (there are many kinds). This site lists some good fish; pick some you like and it tells you their requirements (tank size, etc); make a list of what you like and then post here and we can help with stocking options.

As for cycling, here's the guide for the fishless cycle! In addition to setting up the 20 gal with filter, heater, water, etc you'll need a good test kit ( API Master is best) and some pure ammonia. The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

I'm not very familiar with live plants but I think it depends on what lighting you have in terms of what plants you can keep, if any.

Good luck, and continue to post questions!
librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:43 PM   #4
Look It Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaKai View Post
IMO I don't think that emerald cories would do good in there. Yes to the dwarf gourami, and you could add smaller cories in the tank and maybe 2 schools of smaller tetras or danios or nano fish. Plants: anubis, java ferns, and mosses are some to name. The cycling link: The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
just keep asking for more questions

We posted at the same time. I double-checked and AquaKai is right, your emerald corys need at least a 30 gal tank I'm afraid. Maybe you can donate them to whoever is taking the other fish?
librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygirl View Post
Hi Brittney, Good for you for upgrading your tank!

If you do donate or give away your Mollys and Guppies (good call, as 5 gals is way too small for them, especially the Mollys), you could move the cory's into the 20 and then you actually have a good amount of room for some other fish. I'd wait on the Dwarf though; wait a few months until your tank establishes very well before trying one; they can be sensitive fish and are prone to disease.

In addition to the Corys you could do a school of some sort; rasboras or tetras (there are many kinds). This site lists some good fish; pick some you like and it tells you their requirements (tank size, etc); make a list of what you like and then post here and we can help with stocking options.

As for cycling, here's the guide for the fishless cycle! In addition to setting up the 20 gal with filter, heater, water, etc you'll need a good test kit ( API Master is best) and some pure ammonia. The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

I'm not very familiar with live plants but I think it depends on what lighting you have in terms of what plants you can keep, if any.

Good luck, and continue to post questions!

Is this too much ? I'm thinking
1 dwarf gourami
5-6 tetras
5-6 danios??
2 Cory cats ( the ones I have )

is that too many???
Old 08-31-2011, 10:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMO I think that's one too many schools of fish, maybe just one school instead. Other than that it sounds alright. JMO.

Tags
20 gallon, dwarf, fish, gourami, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com