20 gallon tank suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishtankfan

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey there I am new to AA and just wanted to get some suggestions. I want to get a 20 gallon tank. I know I'm far away from stalking it, but I'd just like to get an idea. Does anyone have a suggested stocking layout for a 20 gallon tank? Just no live breeders please already have a ten gallon with guppies. And wanted to try out some new fish. Thanks :)

Welcome to AA!

First off, do you plan to get a 20 gal long or 20 gal high? Because the long has a slightly longer footprint it will allow for a little more stocking possibility so try to get one of those if you can. A typical 20 gallon community tank would look something like this:

6-8 schooling fish
6-8 schooling fish
1-2 centerpieces, depending on the fish
~ invertebrates

Obviously you can be quite flexible with this basic example depending on the actual fish, such as:

10 neon tetra
5 panda cories
1 dwarf/honey gourami
1-2 peacock gudgeons

or

6 marble hatchetfish
10 rummynose tetra
1 German blue ram
1 honey gourami

Some good schooling fish for that size tank include neon, cardinal, rummynose, lemon, and glowlight tetra, as well as harlequin rasboras, marble hatchetfish, and a few of the more peaceful barbs (cherry, 5-banded, checker, etc). Cories are shoalers that will tend to stay a bit lower, but you want to make sure you target smaller types like panda, pygmy, and julii. Some good centerpiece fish are dwarf and honey gourami, German or Bolivian rams, and even other dwarf SA cichlids like apistogramma. Fun little invertebrates you could add to your tank include nerite and assassin snails and amano shrimp.

Finally, please note that some of these suggestions are made based on the idea that these fish will be properly researched. This is important because all fish for the most part require specific conditions or requirements, such as marble hatchetfish needing a tight lid on the tank or German blue rams needing a "mature" tank. Let us know what you're considering! (y)

Back
Top Bottom