20 gallon tiger barb tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thepacificnorthwestfish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone just joined here after deciding to get a tank again and get started on a nice little tank. Anyways I don't know much about fish at all, and when I went to the store i got a 2 gallon tank and a filtration system and heater, and the guy working said to get a couple tiger barbs and a catfish would be good for it. So I put them in the tank and I immediatly noticed the bigger one kept chasing around the smaller one (i got 2). So I decided to research and found that they need to be in schools and in a much bigger tank, or else will get aggresive, so I went into my garage and found my old 20 gallon tank. I cleaned it up today, and tomorrow im going to go get all the materials needed and am going to run it threw for 2 days to get the fish ready for it. But im planning on taking the little guy out and the catfish and putting them in the big tank and than also adding another 4 or 5 tiger barbs. I figured that would be a good start for a 20 gallon tank, but what im wondering are what is another type of fish that I could add in as well? In like a month or so once they get all used to the tank I wanted to introduce a new species just a school of 4 or 5, or is this to much for a 20 gallon tank? also i was planning on just leaving the bigger barb in the 2 gallon tank by himself will he have enough room and be happy in there by himself? I just don't want him to kill the little guy. Thanks for your help!

Welcome to AA!

First I would like to suggest you to read about the Nitrogen cycle. There is a good link below my signature that will explain you more details. Your tread give me the impression that your tank is not cycled yet, you will be require to do frequent partial water changes to keep a healthy environment in your 20G tank.
Be sure that you have proper filtration for the 20G, read and read and read the different gold treads and links in this forums, and you will be able to understand your next steps, because you will be cycling your tanks with fish.

Also be sure that you buy an API Master test kit, which is one of the more accurate test to measure the levels of ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and ph in your tanks.

Don't trust in the advice of the local fish store.

Back
Top Bottom