20 Long Tank, 3 Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dtholden

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all I am new to the sight and only 2 months into owning fish. I have consumed enormous amounts of aquarium and fish related data over those few months. Much of that info that was beneficial to me I learned as I went and sometimes after I had made certain errors, others I read before I made mistakes. All in all it has been an enjoyable experience.

This first post is directed at my 20 L tank which currently holds very young goldfish. 3 to be exact, a Black Moor, a Fantail, and a Red Cap Oranda. I am now aware of the 20 gallon base for one gold and adding 10 gallons per additional Gold which means I should be operating a 40 Gallon tank for these guys. My question for now, well a few questions but I'll begin with the first is this. Will these guys who are quite small compared to their potential size, all roughly 3 inches be ok in this 20 long which is currently filtered by two 20 gallon filters, weekly water changes, water quality is perfect, check ammonia often at home and at my local aquarium for at least a few months. I have every intention of moving them to a 40L when money and time permits and I find out if my second floor apartment can handle the weight of an aquarium that will double the water weight in my room.

I am not in the business of putting my fish through harm I only feel that at their current size, rushing to a 40G at this moment seems drastic and unnecessary. Willing to learn, I'm humble and looking forward to your comments. Thank you! Also if anyone is interested here are their names, BM: Oswald, FT: Sprox, RCO: Jules Verne

Thanks again!

Dylan

dtholden said:
Hello all I am new to the sight and only 2 months into owning fish. I have consumed enormous amounts of aquarium and fish related data over those few months. Much of that info that was beneficial to me I learned as I went and sometimes after I had made certain errors, others I read before I made mistakes. All in all it has been an enjoyable experience.

This first post is directed at my 20 L tank which currently holds very young goldfish. 3 to be exact, a Black Moor, a Fantail, and a Red Cap Oranda. I am now aware of the 20 gallon base for one gold and adding 10 gallons per additional Gold which means I should be operating a 40 Gallon tank for these guys. My question for now, well a few questions but I'll begin with the first is this. Will these guys who are quite small compared to their potential size, all roughly 3 inches be ok in this 20 long which is currently filtered by two 20 gallon filters, weekly water changes, water quality is perfect, check ammonia often at home and at my local aquarium for at least a few months. I have every intention of moving them to a 40L when money and time permits and I find out if my second floor apartment can handle the weight of an aquarium that will double the water weight in my room.

I am not in the business of putting my fish through harm I only feel that at their current size, rushing to a 40G at this moment seems drastic and unnecessary. Willing to learn, I'm humble and looking forward to your comments. Thank you! Also if anyone is interested here are their names, BM: Oswald, FT: Sprox, RCO: Jules Verne

Thanks again!

Dylan

Hi and welcome to AA!
You are absolutely correct that they will need a 40g tank in the near future. Goldfish do most of their growing the the first 3 years of life so the sooner you can get the bigger tank the better so stunting can be avoided. I can not answer how fast their growth rate is because I am only new to keeping goldfish myself. As long as frequent large water changes are done once or twice a week I can not see a problem keeping them in the 20g for 2-3 months.

Hi & welcome to AA!!!! I am a bit confused here because you mention your tank as a 20litre tank & a 20gal tank & i am curious as to which is correct. A 20litre tank (@5gals) is too small for even a single goldfish. I am glad you have been doing your reading & your research & you are aware that your present situation can not be a permanent one. The sooner you can upgrade their living space, the better. They will be healthier & happier & will be able to achieve their genetic potential for growth rather than suffer from being stunted. For the time being, i would consider doing 50% water changes atleast once or twice week to keep your numbers in check & to keep your nitrates down. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any questions! :)

20 "Long"

Hello! and thank you for the quick reply. I'm sorry for not being clearer. They are in a 20 long to maximize surface area vs a 20 high. It is 20 Gallons only the Long model. If that helps you get a better picture of what the situation is.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the clarification! I was a bit concerned if was 20l... Please ask if you have any questions! :)

Also, I'm not sure how to find this info. But I live on the second floor of my apartment complex. Water as I'm sure you all know is a heavy bugger, would the roughly 500 pounds of water be an issue? I feel like it wouldn't considering some bed frames and or television entertainment systems probably weigh that amount. Thanks again for all the help! This is in regards to the 40 gallon as well.

Also, I'm not sure how to find this info. But I live on the second floor of my apartment complex. Water as I'm sure you all know is a heavy bugger, would the roughly 500 pounds of water be an issue? I feel like it wouldn't considering some bed frames and or television entertainment systems probably weigh that amount. Thanks again for all the help! This is in regards to the 40 gallon as well.

Hmm... thats a good question but im not a contractor & i dont know the specifics for proper tank placement in respect to load-bearing walls, etc. You may get a better response if you post this question in the 'general discussion' or 'equipment/hardware' sections on the forum. You could also try doing a search here & see what type of information you can find as well. Good luck!

I read on here once that someone said if 2-3 adults can stand next to each other and the floor can hold them, then it can hold fish tank the same weight. To be on the safe side I'd find a load bearing wall and put it there.

dtholden said:

Im not sure if an apartment complex is less sturdy, but i have heard of many people having 55's, 40's and 30's on second floors of HOUSES. Not sure if theres a difference?

Back
Top Bottom