20g build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

minky123

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi I'm Barb, I just got a used 20g for $75. It has a water pump but it is extremely loud. I also got a 12 in arrowana and six feeder goldfish with it. They are great :). I put everything together hoping that the feeders will feed the arrowana so I don't have to feed him regularly. I think he only wards one a day. My question is that the filter doesn't seem to be working so I'm thinking I just don't use one at all and its going in the trash, is this ok, Suggestions??

add another 0 to your tank size... that arrowana is going to get giant. also do something else for the goldies, because more then likely the arowana won't eat them... basically either upgrade or sell those fish to a person with a tank size where they can grown out properly. :)

barbtetra1234 said:
Hi I'm Barb, I just got a used 20g for $75. It has a water pump but it is extremely loud. I also got a 12 in arrowana and six feeder goldfish with it. They are great :). I put everything together hoping that the feeders will feed the arrowana so I don't have to feed him regularly. I think he only wards one a day. My question is that the filter doesn't seem to be working so I'm thinking I just don't use one at all and its going in the trash, is this ok, Suggestions??

Hello barb welcome to AA.

Now, the first big point is that a 12" arowana in a 20 gallon is a huge problem. I know you didnt add it, but you should fix the problem. You could rehome it to a fish store, or buy a 250 gallon tank...i suggest option number 1. These fish can get over 3 feet.

As for feeding, feeder goldfish isnt nutritious for a fish, and they can actually carry disease and parasites.

As for filtration on your 20, i suggest an aquaclear 110. This should be good enough filtration for a small community of tetras and other small fish.

I can't afford anything else right now, and I promised the old man I would not sell any of the fish no matter what. I think they are fine anyways :)

barbtetra1234 said:
I can't afford anything else right now, and I promised the old man I would not sell any of the fish no matter what. I think they are fine anyways :)

I can guarantee you a 12 inch arowana is not fine in a 20 gallon tank...

Anyways, you need a filter for the tank. Thats a must no matter what fish you have.

If you cannot provide the fish with a proper home I suggest rehoming them.

Sorry this isn't what you wanna hear

The arowana will get huge, and a 20 gallon tank will really only support 1 or 2 of the goldfish, not a bunch of goldies and an arowana. Please rehome the fish and buy ones that will be fine in a 20 gallon, there are many many options available. Without a filter you are going to poison the fish, not mentioning the tank is all ready way to small. Please do the right thing.

Gee I didn't think people would be so against me when I joined :(
we are not against you at all. we are against the fact you have a fish that will reach over 3 feet long in a "small" 20 gallon tank. many people make the mistake of over stocking, or buying a fish not suitable for the tank size, with a little research, and help from us here an AA, you can find all the answers to your questions, and we can help you turn your tank into something great that you will enjoy, and the proper fish can enjoy.
and i am sorry if we may sound a little harsh or mean, we are just trying to help you and your fish :)

Last edited:
I feel stupid and bad now :(

Dont feel stupid or bad, many many people start off the same way you do in this hobby. Me including. Just please find a new home for the fish, and research on what filters/fish you can have on a 20 gallon, the are a whole bunch of colorful active fish you can have.
but i do admit, arowanas are very cool fish to have, if only they would stay a bit smaller :)

barbtetra1234 said:
But the old man, what do I do about him

You can always get a bigger tank and keep all the fish he gave you.

Besides, now that it's yours, why do you have to do it the way he wants? Didn't you buy it from him?

can you talk to him about it? explain to him the situation, and tell him that if he really cares about the fish and their health, he'll understand that they need to be rehomed in order to be healthy

Alright thanks for understanding, nobody understands me these days. Now the old man, looks like I have to brush up on my Chinese.

hey, it's ok. we can give all the advice in the world, but you have to take action in order for us to be able to help. :) as for chinese... can't help you there, but good luck lol!

Back
Top Bottom