20g long help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheeky_monkey

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've just acquired an additional tank and I'm lost as to what to stock in it.

It's 20g, 3ft wide but only 1ft high and deep.

I would like to make it a planted tank and wish to not have livebearers. Perhaps a centrepiece fish or pair.

Any suggestions?

Are you wanting smaller, schooling fish and then one really unique one as a centerpiece fish? Or what were you thinking?

7 sterbai or Panda cories for bottom dwelling
School of 6 black skirt tetra or 6 lemon tetra
2 sparkling gourami or 3 dwarf gourami 1m 2f
A handful of shrimp : anamo,cherry,bamboo,ghost
Then small top dwelling fish of your choice. :);)

I would agree with the above list, though I would put 2 Opaline Gourami and 6 Lemon Tetra in - I have Opaline Gourami and Lemon Tetra in mine and the colours go really well against the green plants.

Borderlesscott said:
I would agree with the above list, though I would put 2 Opaline Gourami and 6 Lemon Tetra in - I have Opaline Gourami and Lemon Tetra in mine and the colours go really well against the green plants.

Opalines get too big for a 20g and can get very nasty. Not always, but all 3Spots of any color can be naughty fish.

And the large Gouramis tend to kill off other Gouramis. Even pairs may fight.

Samzter said:
7 sterbai or Panda cories for bottom dwelling
School of 6 black skirt tetra or 6 lemon tetra
2 sparkling gourami or 3 dwarf gourami 1m 2f
A handful of shrimp : anamo,cherry,bamboo,ghost
Then small top dwelling fish of your choice. :);)

Gouramis are a top dweller and won't always tolerate any other surface fish.

Sterbais are too large for a 20g. Pandas or dwarf Corys are a better choice.

With that many predators, Cherry Shrimp would get slaughtered. Or be hiding all the time.

When I get a 20 Long I want Cory habrosus and hastatus. I want a nice group of small Rainbowfish maybe Furcatas or Aru II. I'd have some RCS or CRS. Maybe a couple of Amanos.
I'd like to try Ember Tetras. But my main focus would be the Corydoras. They are so cute !!

Coursair said:
Gouramis are a top dweller and won't always tolerate any other surface fish.

Sterbais are too large for a 20g. Pandas or dwarf Corys are a better choice.

With that many predators, Cherry Shrimp would get slaughtered. Or be hiding all the time.

+1

Perhaps a school of small tetras and have a dwarf cichlid (apisto) pair.

Thankyou for all of the replies.

Gouramis are beautiful but I haven't really taken a liking to them.

I really love panda corys so they're definitely an option.

I like the idea of a school of something small so some more suggestions of small schooling fish would be helpful please.

Does anyone know about Bolivian rams? (i think that's what they're called)

Oh and I already have a cherry only tank so not looking at any shrimp at the moment.

Are kuhli loaches appropriate for this size tank? I've always wanted some so if they're suitable are they compatible with cardinal tetras, corys and Bolivian rams?

Thankyou for all of the replies.

Gouramis are beautiful but I haven't really taken a liking to them.

I really love panda corys so they're definitely an option.

I like the idea of a school of something small so some more suggestions of small schooling fish would be helpful please.

Does anyone know about Bolivian rams? (i think that's what they're called)

Bolivian ram would be happier if given a 30 gallon tank.

I would do:

7 white cloud minnows
7 neon tetras or harlequin rasporas
1 honey gourami
6 pygmy cories
some amano shrimp as clean up crew if you are going for planted

I wouldn't do Bolivian Ram in a 20

I wouldn't do Bolivian Ram in a 20, they do get bigger than the GBR's and I've found mine very active - beautiful fish, just wouldn't be right in a tank that size, I would also greatly reduce the other fish you could add as they need really good water quality.

Thanks for the info on Bolivian rams.

Completely new train of thought today, perhaps I can make it my first Australian native tank? Lots of rainbows, blue eyes etc?

cheeky_monkey said:
Thanks for the info on Bolivian rams.

Completely new train of thought today, perhaps I can make it my first Australian native tank? Lots of rainbows, blue eyes etc?

I have Threadfin Rainbows , love them. A group of 6 would be great.

Furcatas or Aru II are great also. Mine eat well and love darting in and out of the plants.

Pics are linked in my Sig or on my profile.

Back
Top Bottom