20G stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

griffinej5

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi! I have a 20 gallon tank currently housing a single betta. I had goldfish in it, the goldfish kept dying, decided to stop killing those, and I just threw a betta in at the time to keep it cycled until I could decide what I actually wanted to do with it. It's been sitting for months with just that male betta. My mom has decided I could move the tank upstairs. It's currently in the basement, which means water changes required dragging buckets up and down the stairs, which is probably why I never bothered stocking the tank. So, the tank is coming up the stairs, and it is being restocked.
The tank was fishless cycled back before I got the goldfish, but has housed only the betta for months, thus I assume it cannot handle me dumping everything I want in there all at once. The current filters are a 20 gallon in tank, and a Marina S20 slim. I'm not exactly sure what the in tank is, but I think that's some sort of tetra. These were the only filters possible in the current location, because it is on a bookshelf, and the space between the wall and the tank just barely allows the slim filter. I have a heater, but it is currently not running.
I'm thinking off adding 6 neon tetras, possibly cardinal tetras, or shoot me, those glowfish tetras. I know they're genetically engineered, and I know some people hate them, but part of the reason my mom said the tank can move is that my niece likes the fish. She's 20 months old, and she actually asks to go out to Petsmart to see the fish (she's still little enough not to know this isn't the zoo, and too little to realize you can actually get those pets and take them home, but if she did, she'd want that rat) so I would like to have stuff that she could actually see swimming around. I like African Dwarf Frogs, and I am also pretty set on a few of those. We do have other good local stores, and I am not stuck buying in Petsmart.
I'm thinking since the betta lived in there first, he's probably going to have to leave, at least temporarily. At the very least, I am prepared for him to have to leave, and it may be simpler just to start out that way. I may or may not put him back in there.
Anything else I should consider, or any reason the current plan is a horrible idea? I have also considered leaving the betta in there and putting in some white cloud mountain minnows, but I would rather do something else.
Also, if I go with the tetras + ADFs, who goes in first? I assume they can't go at the same time right now as that would overload the bacteria in the tank. Am I correct that I need to add gradually since it has only been the betta, or can everyone just go in together?

If you plan on getting these fish anytime soon, I would suggest turning the heater on and attempting to maintain a temp of at least 79 F or so.
If the betta is established, he may not welcome new tankmates. It all just depends on their personality. Some care, some don't :) You could always move him into a decorative betta tank nearby.
From what I've heard, ADFs will stay to themselves much of the time. Although I would add the tetras first and see how they do for a week or two, and then add the frogs.

You are correct about adding fish slowly so the BB will build up. Years ago when the kids were little I kept ADF with fish and they did fine. Just had to be sure they got food as they have poor eye sight if I remember right. I hate to say this as I'm not a fan but a couple fancy colored guppy males and 3-4 females will allow her to find and see "babies". When the kids were little that was their favorite tank, the one they could find babies in. They would also go with the guppies and frogs. If not guppies there are platy's, swords, and molly's that are all live bearers. And what about a couple bright yellow mystery snails, they are big enough to see and she might enjoy them also. I would move the betta to his own tank as you never know if they are going to attack other fish or leave them alone.

I think I convinced myself that the betta would do better moving out of the 20g. I'll get him his own little home, and he'll stay downstairs. Dragging water up and down for him is no big deal, but water up and down for the 20 is a pain in the butt. Believe it or not, we once kept a 50g salt tank in the basement. I got it from a friend when she moved cross country. Dragging water for that was truly horrible.
If I get something to put under the tank to protect the surface it will be on tomorrow, I might drain it and drag it up the stairs tomorrow. If I actually get to it tomorrow, then I might start adding fish later in the week. Once i bring it up and put the heater back on, I assume I have to pull the betta at that point? Should I put in a little ammonia, or is it okay a few days with nothing in there? I mean, I there will be some bits of food and fish waste in there from the betta, but I'm going to have to drain it pretty far down to be able to lift it up the stairs.
I'm not really keen on livebearers. I have nothing to do with them other really than let them get eaten. I'm not opposed to snails at all, and I could do a few of those.

Right, the bacteria have adjusted down to the betta so you'll have to add fish very slowly and test daily and do extra water changes as needed. Does the tank have a heater?

The betta would do better in its own 5 gal tank with heater. At this point he's probably not going to tolerate tank mates (most of them don't anyway). You can try it but have a back-up plan.

The tank should be ok for a few days without fish but anything longer than that I'd add some ammonia. Or what you could do is effectively cycle the tank fishless with ammonia that way you can build up your bacteria and add all the fish you want when it's done. It's up to you though.

You could do:
--6 cardinal or neon tetra
--6 glofish
--4 panda, dwarf or pygmy cory
-- a centerpiece fish like a dwarf or sparkling gourami (don't get the larger types like pearl or kissing)

ADFs are iffy in tanks with fish particularly high tanks. They aren't the greatest swimmers and are nearly blind so you'll need to target feed them. A 20 high might be too high for them to be able to come up to get air. They're also social and should be in a group of 3+ and I wouldn't put them with another bottom-dweller like the corys. They also tend to like higher temps than most tropicals.

Don't feel bad I'm not a live bearer fan either! The neons or cardinals along with the glowfish and a dwarf gourami would be nice and colorful for her to watch. Then add in a couple bright snails. If you do the ADF's you need to add a couple tall plants that they can come up and rest on making it easier to come up for air. For feeding we used to have a long wooden skewer (the point was not sharp) that we would put food items on and actually hand feed the frogs. Plus with fish you want putting bottom food items close to the frogs should be too big of an issue for them to be able to get to without the fish getting all the food. You'll just have to monitor their eating to be sure they are getting enough.

I pulled the betta, moved, the tank, and threw in some ammonia ramp up the bacteria. I'd rather do it that way. I'm hoping it won't take so long this time since it's cycled and just needs to get going a bit more.
I stopped by Petsmart on my way to work just to get a look at some of the other suggestions in person, and intending to pick up a new tank for the betta. Corys- meh. Didn't love or hate the look of them. They should have other varieties at the LFS, but Petsmart was on my way to work and I needed to kill 5 minutes, so I looked at fish. The gourami I really liked.
Now for what to do with the betta. I didn't buy him anything today, because I couldn't decide what to do, so he's back in the little cup I bought him in. Obviously, I need to remedy that. The tank that got moved was in my bedroom. It's now really quiet in there. I couldn't decide what to buy because it would cost $15 for 2.5 or the 10 gallon tank. If I went with the 10, or if I could find a 5 maybe, I could do the betta in that with the ADFs I wanted in the 20. I had no intention of starting a second tank though.

Back
Top Bottom