20g tall - help with species pick!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarahsunshine

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

My 20g high tropical tank is just finishing cycling and I'm getting excited about putting it together. I currently have 3 goldfish that are going to be switched out to another tank, but I want some advice about species, habitat, and timing of introductions for my tank since it's my first.

Here is the list of species and numbers that I am thinking of:
- 5 kuhli loaches
- 1 dwarf gourami
- 6 cardinal tetras
- 3 oto
- 5 cardinal rasboras

What order should they be added?

How do I know when it's OK to add the next species?

I'm planning to add a Java fern. Should plants be added after fish or before, or no difference?

Well, I caved today, and since I had no advice other than the LFS, I got 6 neon tetras (very small), and 5 kuhli loaches.

I'll test daily to see how things go, but before I went, Ammonia and nitrites were below the test minimum so I think it's safe to say I'm cycled!!!! And I haven't changed any water since the new filter went in!

WOOHOO!!!!

Everyone seems to be doing great - except that two of the tetras disappeared...

How long do I need to keep both filters running on the tank before I can move the small Aqua-tech to the 10g and get that one cycling?

You should try and find those two tetras lol. Dead fish create ammonia. And I think you have another post going about the filters, but I would leave both on there for a while.

You should try and find those two tetras lol. Dead fish create ammonia. And I think you have another post going about the filters, but I would leave both on there for a while.

Umm... I'm pretty sure that they were eaten by the piggy Ryukin that I had in there to cycle the tank... I'm now down to 1... (water at 78 )

THE SOB STORY
I was hoping that if I put the new filter on, that I could remove the old filter after a couple days (since there's bacteria in the filter and I have a couple driftwood and 5 plastic plants and lots of rocks), and then move the goldfish to a new tank to cycle with the original filter... I guess in my elation at finding that the tank was cycled I acted a little hastily (thinking I could put the old filter on a new tank) and my tetras became tasty night-time snacks. :(

Fortunately, there's only been a tiny increase in nitrites (up to 0.1ppm) with the addition of new fish that I dealt with easily with a PWC. Another day and the nitrites are down again.

THE NEW QUESTION:
If I remove the piggy Ryukin from my cycled tank, and put them in a new tank, do you think I can immediately add some more fish to the old tank (more tetras, harlequin rasbora, otos)? I think it would be OK because I'm removing a bunch of fish that the tank is used to, and dirty fish at that... But I'd like someone to confirm that I'm not loony...

as long as you filled the tank first and let it sit for a little while with dechlor in it, you shoudlnt have a problem, as long as it hasnt been on the new tank too long without a source of ammonia... i would go ahead and stick the goldie in there, keep checking your parameters, and if they get out of whack, you can stick him back in that tank until you straighten out the other one... you have alot more options now :) What i would sugggest though is to wait for a week or so until adding any new fish to the tank youre taking the goldie out of, that way if you need to, you can stick him back in there, and also just to let the tank establish itself somewhat with the fish it has in it

Back
Top Bottom