Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-07-2007, 02:20 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to black hills tj Send a message via MSN to black hills tj Send a message via Yahoo to black hills tj
AC 50 just got here, can I go ahead and run it on the back of my dad's tank for a while/

http://www.bhtj.net
black hills tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:30 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Of course. That will help you get going for sure.

severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:25 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to black hills tj Send a message via MSN to black hills tj Send a message via Yahoo to black hills tj
Okay...so the AC 50 is running on the 29g tank now. Once I get the substrate, water, heater in the 20g can I throw the AC 50 on and just test for the cycle?

Old 05-07-2007, 04:46 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldn't... you'll need a food source to be added to the new tank along with the filter, whether that is pure ammonia, fish, or a rotting shrimp. Otherwise the bacteria will die. Also, it won't do you much good as far as cycling goes, unless you have run the filter on your dad's tank for 2-4 weeks. Do the gravel trick, also, just for good measure IMO.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:07 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

thanks for the tip...I'll run the filter on our 29g tank for another week. Then I think i'll do the gravel trick and move the fitler to the 20g. Think that'll take care of things?

Old 05-07-2007, 07:28 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sure. I think you can still go ahead and add the barbs at the same time that you add the filter and old gravel. Like I mentioned, be vigilant with your testing as it may be necessary to do water changes if you see any ammonia or nitrite. The plants from your dad's tank will help with that though, so you may not see any spikes at all. Just keep on top of things and you will be fine! Good luck!
Old 05-07-2007, 07:42 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks Severum. I'll definately test daily once I get the water going. Thanks for all the tips and I will most likely be back to ask for more of em.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:04 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

No prob, and feel free to PM anytime, as always! I like your stock list and I think your tank will be active and peaceful. And don't forget the PICS!
Old 05-07-2007, 08:07 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by severum mama
No prob, and feel free to PM anytime, as always! I like your stock list and I think your tank will be active and peaceful. And don't forget the PICS!
of course I'll put my Canon 30D to use!

I think the combination of black gravel and background, gray slate rock formations/caves, green plants, yellow rams, white/black cories, red barbs will look nice

Old 05-07-2007, 10:25 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
thanks for the tip...I'll run the filter on our 29g tank for another week. Then I think i'll do the gravel trick and move the fitler to the 20g. Think that'll take care of things?
Leave it on there until you are ready to stock.Move the filter,nyloned gravel and add a few fish.
SM has nailed it,just agreeing.

This is how folks with tanks start new tanks.Its money.Been there and done that...works great.

90g SW FOWLR
50g tall fw planted at .6wpg
29g fw planted at 1.2 wpg
10g fw planted at 3 wpg cf
SCFatz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
20 gallon, log, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com