20g Tank Log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

black hills tj

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ordering equipment to setup my 20g tank

I already have the 20g tank with a hood and 20w light fixture over it.

Here's what I'm ordering from big al

Aquaclear 50 HOB power filter-18.99
100 watt Visi-therm Stealth heater-17.99

When it comes to substrate...how many pounds of gravel do you think i'll need? 25 lbs? less than that?

Thanks for the advice, and for decor I'm going to move some anacharis and hornwort out of my dad's tank. I'll also be making a few caves out of rocks and silicone.

Fish...I'm thinking either panda or albino cories. I was looking at getting 3 cories. A school of cherry barbs. I'm thinking 5 or 6. 3 oto's. And as centerpiece fish maybe a pair of powder blue dwarf gouramis?

Thanks,

Mike

edit-as i sit here and think about centerpiece fish..what about a pair of rams? 8O

My personal opinion is that three cories is not enough. However, I know that plenty of people do it. Also, what you've posted above sounds like it will really be pushing it in terms of stocking. How often are you planning on doing water changes?

water changes don't bother me in the least(and i don't even have a python :eek:). I can do water changes whenever necesary. Everyone tells me that my dad and i's 29g is overstocked, but we don't have any problems with it.

My dad and I have a pair of cories in our 29g and they seem fine.

If I were you, I would seriously consider moving some of your fish from the 29 to the 20, and not buying any additional fish. I thought that was your original plan for the tank anyway. :? You say that you don't have any problems with your 29, but haven't you lost a few fish just in the past couple of weeks? Your fish will be happier and healthier if you just move some into your new tank.

I lost the fish because (between my dad and i) we added too many fish at once. Now the tank has settled in and everything is fine. However, I could remove either the 2 cherry barbs or the pristella tetra and put a school(5-6) of either species in the 20g tank.

BTW...no that was not my original plan.

Just don't get the Petsmart kind (Top Fin). I bought it a couple of years ago for my 29, and a lot of the black color has worn off. Now it just looks kinda gray, but changing substrate is a total pain so I haven't done it yet.

A powerhead won't be necesary in a 20h i i'm running the AC50 will it?

May 4, 2007

Heater and filter are supposed to get here monday.
Boiled some slate and used silicone to build a cave and rock structure.
Purchased 25lbs of small black gravel.
Spoke with the manager of a LFS, she said she'll have the fish I'll be stocking my tank with within 2 weeks.

this includes:
5 Julii Cories
2 German Rams(haven't decided if i want blue or gold yet)
either 1 small pleco or 3 oto's(once again, not sure which route I want to go. yes I know the pleco will outgrow the tank.)
6 Cherry barbs

i think this stock list will give me a good looking tank with few if any territories and no aggressive fish

5 Julii Cories
2 German Rams(haven't decided if i want blue or gold yet)
either 1 small pleco or 3 oto's(once again, not sure which route I want to go. yes I know the pleco will outgrow the tank.)
6 Cherry barbs

Just a thought for you TJ.

I think the inch to gallon ratio is ok with that list (assuming ottos) but the both of the GBRs and the ottos should not be considered for a "new" tank.Especially the gbrs.They simply are not "hardy" and will react poorly (die) to change.

These troubles have benn posted here time and time again.They can be difficult in a very established tank as well...but a very stable system helps for sure,

Start with the cories and barbs (can be agressive) and add the ottos later.Lastly add the GBRS...which are wonderful fish btw.Gorgeous.

Best of luck

My plan would be:

Fill the tank with declorinated water.

Watch my heater and temp for a day to be sure it was holding and working well.

Go to dads to get plants....AND to retrieve he filter media.Bring a new cartridge for his and a bucket of declorinated water to bring his old nasty one home.

Drop the media in the tank and plant the plants.

Go buy fish (the six barbs),acclimate em and enjoy.

No need to cycle is if you can bring over sufficent bacteria over from dads tank.Both the filter media and the plants will have enough to have the tank doing great almost instantly (cycle wise).Test it of course,but you will see.Its good stuff.

The major key here is to keep everything wet in declorinated water during transport.After that you are golden.No cycle for you.

HTH

I agree. I start every new FW tank this way with great results. Just be sure to test your water every day until you are positive the tank has cycled, and be ready to change some water. The last time I did this, I had no ammo spike, but a small nitrite spike (barely detectable). I did a water change and had no further issues. I cycled that tank (55 gallons) in 4 days with just 2 old Biowheels. If you can grab a filter pad or a handful of gravel from your dad's tank, you should be fine to add your barbs, and then you don't have to look at an empty tank, lol. Wait 2-3 weeks, just to be safe, and add the corys.

You don't really even need to put it in the filter. You can just stick it in the tank. Here is what I would do: Buy a (new) nylon stocking, rinse it, and put as much gravel as your dad will let you borrow into the stocking. Tie a knot in the stocking and stick it in your tank for a few weeks. Then you can just pull it out when you are done and give it back to your dad.

Make sure you test every day! :) You may not cycle instantly this way, and you will need to have a pretty good idea of exactly what's going on in the tank. As always, post results here if you have any questions! Actually, post results here anyway- I'm really interested to see how long it takes you to cycle. 8)

Good luck! And BTW- you're going to love how easy it is to maintain an Aquaclear as opposed to an UGF.

Back
Top Bottom