20gal and 60gal. What to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TypeSFTW

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, new on the forums here, just thought I'd start by asking a couple questions.

Part 1: 20 gallon

So my friend just gave me a 20 gallon the other day but I'm not exactly sure what to do with it. Currently its on my desk chilling with the filter and heater running (got it at 80 degrees for the moment). Its a freshwater tank, and I want to keep it as a tropical setup, just not sure what kind of fish to put in it. I want some cool looking tropicals, something that will keep good color year round, pretty much some basic community fish, but not the typical ones you can get at Petco or Petsmart, the ones you have to get from a specialty fish store. I don't want to have to feed them live fish, preferably pellets, flake, or frozen. Anyway, so pretty much I'm just looking for suggestions. I'm not looking to spend very much money, only about $15 max per fish, any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance. Here's a pic of the aquarium I just setup today to give you an idea what I'm working with:

img_848293_0_c5f5176b39b199de8c69647b0ec4478a.jpg

Part 2: 60 gallon

I also have a 60 gallon tank that I have that I want to keep as a native tank. Currently I have two male (I think) bluegill in there, about 6" long. Currently I'm feeding them frozen brine shrimp cubes, and they seem to be content eating those. Ideally what I would like to do is get two small largemouths to mix in with them and some sort of small catfish, only problem is from what I understand both species eat non-stop and you have to feed them live, which I really don't want to do unless I really have to. From what I've heard, its almost impossible to get largemouth to eat anything other than live feeders. So my question is what other alternatives do I have if I can't mix the largemouths in with the bluegill? And if I can, is it possible to feed them frozen food? Here's a pic (sorry for the bad quality)

img_848293_1_d30d4b9e2e1b182192fd3ca193903c8a.jpg

Welcome to AA.

Please don't cycle your tank with fish. Since your tank is sitting setup and idle right now, it's perfect time to conduct a fishless cycle while you decide what you want to do with the tanks.

Consider a pair of Rams (german blue or bolivian). Gorgeous fish.

Hmmm...like the rams, Ill have to do more research on them. Thanks for the suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom