20gH stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyWater2525

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi!
Today my Aunt gave me a 20g high aquarium that has been running for around 4 years. With it, she gave me 1 Molly and 3 black skirt tetras. I have an idea for what I want to put in it, but I wanted a little back up. My idea is:

6- black skirt tetras
5- harlequin rasboras
5- spotted corydoras
1- Molly
1- mystery snail

The tank has 2 bubblers and very good filtration. The pH is around 7.4 and the temp is about 74 F.

Is this a good stock for a 20g? Also, if there are any suggestion, they are welcome!!!!!! Thanks in advance!

I think that stock sounds fine :)
An important question though- when you moved the tank, did you keep the same old filter and filter media, and if so, did it stay wet the entire time or did it ever get dried out?
Remember, when adding fish don't add them all at once, add them gradually a few at a time so your filter bacteria will be able to keep up :)

Thanks for the replies!!!!
Yes, my Aunt did all of her homework and everything was great when she brought it over!!!! I was hoping this would work, but now I have another question:
Which fish should I add first? Is there a certain order that I should go? I just wanted to make sure because I hear that Skirt Tetras can be a little nippy....:thanks:

Thanks!!!!!!

I also was wondering if I could take away the rasboras and do 6 serpae tetras instead????? Would this work too?:fish2::ermm::huh:

It would probably work just as well but the serpaes are a bit bigger and the stock would be a bit bigger. Also serpaes are pretty aggressive according to everything I've read, so they may not be a good idea. By the way I would recommend at least a 30 gallon filter, but an AquaClear 40 would do really well on this tank.

Oh......:(
Do you have any other suggestion on schooling tetras that can go with the other fish I want?? I'm kinda backing out on the harlequin rasboras......:ermm:

Well harlequins are great beginner's fish, and they school well too. But if not than bloodfin or rummynose tetras are also great. With rummynose, make sure that the tank has been cycled for at least a month IMO before introducing them. At first they aren't very hardy but once they get used to your tank they are great.

I think I may still do harlequins, they're soooo cute!!! I was thinking about ember tetras or cherry barbs..... But I'm really in love with Rosy Barbs!!!! Any thoughts??? There are soooo many choices!!!!!

Yeah, there are tons of choices! Rosy and cherry barbs are both cool, but they have a higher bioload then the harlequins so maybe not as good of a choice. Ember tetras are really small, and I'd be worried about them getting harassed by the BSTs.

Ok!
I think I will stick with Harlequins, as they are really pretty!!!!! Thanks for the advice!!!!! It looks like I'll go with my original choice!!!!! Hahaha!!! Thanks again for everything!!!!!

I went to the pet store today to buy some fish, and I found some Harlequins!!!!!! The problem was, the were still really young, and I was afraid my black skirts would hurt them because of their currently small size.....:( Instead, I bought 4 more Gold White Clouds for my 10 gallon to keep my other 2 White Clouds company:angel:

Should I have been worried???? If I buy a few young Harlequins, will the Black Skirts pick on them because of their size???????

Thank you so much!!!!!!:D

Thanks!!!!!!!!
One more question.......

I also saw a swordtail and was wondering if I could maybe try this stock???

1- Molly
1- swordtail
6- BSTs
6- h. Rasboras
5- spotted cories

Aqadvisor says it's 101% stocked....:ermm:

Would a swordtail be ok in my tank? ( sorry for all the questions....)

Thanks so much!!!!!!

Actually, forget the swordtails!!!!!!!! I finally decided on my stock!!!:D

1- Molly
2- platy
6- harlequin rasboras
6- black skirt tetras
5- Spotted cories

Aqadvisor says I'm 99% stocked!!!:dance:

:D:D:D

I'm super excited!!!!!!

Thanks for everybody's help!!!!!!!

Ok. I know I can't get rid of the Molly, but can I replace the platys with a Dwarf Flame Gourami? Aqadvisor says it would be 95% stocked!!!:angel:

Would a dwarf flame gourami be too aggressive??? Thanks!!!!!

I don't think it would be aggressive towards the fish species you have planned. If aquadvisor says around 100% I'd say it's fine. My tank is stocked at about 120% because aquadvisor is pretty conservative.
I also think the one Molly would be fine personally.. Not the sword though because they swim reeeaally fast and like to swim long distances.

Back
Top Bottom