Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-15-2006, 08:56 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
we can help you deal with MTS
We can?Was I supposed to sign up for a class or something?Did I miss a mass pm'ing??!!

Not only do I disagree,but I'm completely bumfuzzled.

Till the day I die I'll blame my MTS on AA (I'll aslo blame the water bill on a leaking faucet and that forever running toilet that doesn't even exist)

90g SW FOWLR
50g tall fw planted at .6wpg
29g fw planted at 1.2 wpg
10g fw planted at 3 wpg cf
SCFatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 08:59 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCFatz
Quote:
we can help you deal with MTS
We can?Was I supposed to sign up for a class or something?Did I miss a mass pm'ing??!!

Not only do I disagree,but I'm completely bumfuzzled.

Till the day I die I'll blame my MTS on AA (I'll aslo blame the water bill on a leaking faucet and that forever running toilet that doesn't even exist)
i never said AA would stop or even prevent MTS. but you can get new ideas and support to deal with all your new tanks, IMO

Old 10-15-2006, 09:03 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

LOL

90g SW FOWLR
50g tall fw planted at .6wpg
29g fw planted at 1.2 wpg
10g fw planted at 3 wpg cf
SCFatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 09:01 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank you for all the info. I want to make this a community tank. Any suggestions on what kinds of fish to populate with?

I am now leaning toward the 29 gallon. The reason I was thinking of the 20L is the area fish get to school in. I have no idea of what centerpiece fish to consider.

This will already be making me a MTS victim. I have a 5 gallon set up with a betta.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:27 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi ! And welcome to AA !
This is a GREAT place to read and learn. If it weren't for AA my tank and my fish wouldn't be as healthy and happy as they are. I commend you for asking questions before beginning your (re)adventure into this wonderful hobby (some call it an addiction ! LOL)

The extra height of the 29G allows your fish more room in each "region" (upper, middle, bottom). As for which fish, that's too broad a question for me - did you have anything in mind ? a trip to the fish shops (LSFs) in your area might give you an idea of what you might be interested in.

To save you some time:
Bala sharks, cichlids, oscars, goldfish, clown loaches, and common plecos (to name a few) get too big for a 29G so save yourself some time by not looking in those tanks

Here's a great site to review some fish profiles:
http://fishprofiles.com/profiles/default.aspx?pnl=fresh

And please, before you do ANYTHNG be sure to read the articles on the nitrogen cycle and on properly cycling your tank. You should seriously look into doing a fishless cycle - yes, its BORING to have an empty tank for about a month, but it beats the heck out of having to do daily water changes of up to 50% so that your fish are not poisoned by the ammonia and nitrites that will accumulate.

Here are the articles for you to read; please read them and come back with questions - we're all here to help !

Nitrogen cycle
Fishless Cycling*

*note: article written by saltwater keeper - the exact same methods apply to freshwater

Tags
29 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com